We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

CDN/USD currency...bank, atm......????First time!

Which Playas del Coco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
sask.canada
Level Contributor
1,032 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
CDN/USD currency...bank, atm......????First time!

what should I take along actual cash or traveller's cheques or a debit card and of course will bring visa card. In this regard,

1. what currency is best for conversion, or do I need to convert.?

2. what currency will be best for tours, groceries, liquor, shop, etc?

3.where do I go to convert and will I have to hire a taxi to get there?

4.for a debit card are the atm's safe and where do I find the atms?

5. is it safe for visa card

6.all the hidden charges for using visa atm what is the best way to avoid high fees.

7. easy way to decipher us cash to colones when shopping, etc.

8. when shopping are there extra charges for tips using debit card, etc.

9. How much $$$$ to bring along for 3 wks?????? is that safe to bring in a wallet to CR

As you can see real newbies to CR but we have had a bad experience and sooner ask than presume because we got burnt

Any information on the currency and transactions will be helpful.

Your experience is my gain to enjoy the holiday.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
583 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: CDN/USD currency...bank, atm......????First time!

Don't bring travelers checks, just cash and credit/debit cards. US dollars area accepted nearly everywhere, and are easy to convert in banks and grocery stores. If you pay with dollars in grocery stores they will give you the local currency, colones, back.

When paying for a service, like say a taxi cab, and you only have dollars but the price is in colones, we usually convert 500 colones to the dollar. So a c3,000 taxi ride is like 6 US dollars.

In Coco, there are 3 banks and the ATM machines are generally open from 6 am until 10 pm. When you stick your foreign card in to the machine it will ask you if you want to do this transaction in English or Spanish. It is easy to withdraw money at the ATM machines.

Your bank back home will most likely charge a fee for withdrawing.

If you bring a lot of cash, I think it's best not to carry it ALL with you. When you take your wallet out, try not to flash how many bills you have in there.

Most condos have a safe you can store your passport and extra cash in. Make a copy or two of your passport and carry that with you instead of the original.

Heather

sask.canada
Level Contributor
1,032 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: CDN/USD currency...bank, atm......????First time!

thanks Heather for replying and trust me so appreciated.

3. Re: CDN/USD currency...bank, atm......????First time!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 November 2013, 10:18