We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

All inclusive 4+ star resorts

Toronto
Level Contributor
450 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
All inclusive 4+ star resorts

Hi,

We are planning a trip to Costa Rica in February.. It will be with my husband and my 10 yr old son. Looking for a good all inclusive resort by the beach. We mainly like to hang out by the beach and do 1 or 2 days of outside trips.. Can you please recommend which particular place in Costa Rica that I should start looking at.. Just need a jum start first so I can do a little bit of home work and then come back with more questions.

Thanks.

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
7,944 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: All inclusive 4+ star resorts

Best All inclusive in the country would be Westin Playa Conchal http://www.westinplayaconchal.com/ I would start there.

Cheers

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
9,296 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: All inclusive 4+ star resorts

OK first of all Costa Rica may not be your best choice if you're looking for a beach resort. The Pacific coast cannot compare with many of the gorgeous beaches in the Caribbean, just so you know.

There are a very small number of luxury all-inclusive resorts in Costa Rica and they are all located along the Pacific NW coast.

The Westin Playa Conchal is considered the best of the bunch and is located on a beautiful beach although the rooms are not beachfront.

The Riu Guanacaste and the Riu Palace next door are not located on a very good beach and there is quite a bit of criticism on this forum about the Riu and its destruction of the environment. Just do a search on this forum for more info on the Riu if you are interested in details.

The Hilton Papagayo is located in an isolated setting. It's an older complex with lush landscaping and might be what you are looking for if the Westin's rates are a deal-killer.

Other option is the Barcelo Playa Langosta, located just south of Tamarindo with easy access to Tamarindo's nightlife and excursions. I am not sure I would consider this a 4+ star resort however. Check out reviews on this website for more feedback from travelers that have stayed there.

I would not suggest the Allegro or Occidental if you are looking for a luxury AI.

For any of these options be sure and fly into Liberia airport as the drive from San Jose is much much longer.

Toronto
Level Contributor
450 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: All inclusive 4+ star resorts

Thanks a lot Incabod and crfan. That's a good start for me. We have been to Bahamas, Dominican Republic and Cuba for the past few years to escape a week of Canadian winter.. You mentioned Costa Rica is not an ideal location for beaches. Does this mean that the beaches are not as good?

From the forum, I see that I can hike to volcanoes. That sounds interesting too.. I am also interested in trekking; but dont want to spend the whole week running around. the main purpose of this vacation is to relax and rejuvenate..

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
9,296 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: All inclusive 4+ star resorts

Yes that means if you love all-inclusive resorts on white sand beaches with beautiful turquoise water you are likely to be disappointed in Costa Rica. Costa Rica IMO is really much more about nature, wildlife, rainforests and adventure than it is about beach vacations.

If you're still not sure, go to the hotel reviews on this website and check out the photos posted by travelers at each of the resorts. Forget the professional photography which may be color corrected and just look at the photos of each resort's beach area before you decide.

If I were looking for an AI beach vacation in a new location I would check out the Turks and Caicos, the Riviera Maya in Mexico, Jamaica or Antigua before I'd choose Costa Rica. And I really love Costa Rica.

Toronto
Level Contributor
450 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: All inclusive 4+ star resorts

Thanks again crfan. Riviera Maya is one of the options I am looking at.. Would love to see the pyramids there AND enjot the beach. The rainforests and vocanoes sound interesting!! But I really want to relax and not run around every day... I am confused now... As suggested by you, I'll look at the pictures first and come again and bother you more :-)

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,303 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: All inclusive 4+ star resorts

With Westin Conchal you can never be wrong is a world class resort...

roadadvisor

Toronto
Level Contributor
450 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: All inclusive 4+ star resorts

Wow.. I checked in Expedia and for 2nd week of feb, the price for westin conchal is around 4500 per person!! Thats definitely above my budget. I am looking for something around 2K. Is it always this expensive in that resort?

Comparatively, Riu was around 2500.. Wondering why this difference given that both of them are 5 star..

Dominical, Costa...
Level Contributor
59 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: All inclusive 4+ star resorts

Apparently the Riu is a pretty shady operation which may account for the cheaper price. They allegedly have committed some bad acts in regards to the environment.

Toronto
Level Contributor
450 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: All inclusive 4+ star resorts

When you say shady, is it just for their alleged anti environment stuff or something else? how is the resort as such?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
101 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: All inclusive 4+ star resorts

Hey Montreal,

My wife and I were lucky enough to spend a week in Playa del Carmen in September and a week in Guanacaste (Playa Hermosa and Papagayo) We loved both places for different reasons. I do not think you could go wrong. The beaches in Costa Rica are not white powdery sand beaches. These beaches are absolutely beautiful nonetheless. We spent 3 nights at the Hilton Papagayo which was a very nice all inclusive but not sure I would say 4+ stars. If you are looking to stay on the resort and relax for most of your time I may suggest Riviera Maya. If you want to do things like see volcanoes and nature then maybe go with Costa Rica. Like I said I do not think you can go wrong either way