We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

re: Grocery Stores & passport question

Which Playas del Coco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Georgetown, Canada
Level Contributor
205 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
re: Grocery Stores & passport question

Count down to our trip is on.. and we are so excited for Feb. As this is our first trip not doing all inclusive I was hoping to find out if the major grocery stores accept credit card?? I have no idea what we should expect to spend for a family of 4 for one week.. with the idea of eating out once a day (either a lunch or a dinner) I am really looking forward to exploring the different foods while hoping to find some things from home.. For fruits/veggies is better to stop at a market/road side stand?

Also - I am confused about the stamped photocopy of your passport?? Do you need this to get out of the country? Do you need to carry around your passport (or copy) when touring around town??

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: re: Grocery Stores & passport question

Major stores all accept credit cards - and some of the "minor" ones!

One of the best supermarkets in Playas del Coco is the Automercado. It's generally more expensive than some of the others -- there are several supermarkets - but it has a lot of really good stuff.

Food in Costa Rica is not cheap so look at the prices of what you are buying so you don't have an ugly surprise at check-out. The prices will all be in colones and the exchange rate is around 492 to the dollar - but I just mentally divide the price by 500 to get the dollar amount and it will be close.

You may or may not see fruit stands along the way. I wouldn't worry about it too much. The fruits and veggies in the AutoMercado are fine and once you are there, you can look around for other alternatives. There will often be a little shop just for fruits and veggies. Many towns have a weekly "feria" or farmers market although I don't know when this would be in Playas del Coco (or if they have one.)

If you are coming from SJO airport, many people stop in Esparza which is about half way and has lots of fruits stands as well as other products.

As for your passport copy. If you follow the strict letter of the law, you are supposed to keep your passport with you. This is rarely enforced. Instead, what people recommend is making a copy of your passport and include the page with the stamp entering Costa Rica. Then, you can leave your passport safely in your hotel. It's a good idea to have a copy of your passport just in case it is lost or stolen. Makes getting a replacement a lot easier.

If you are doing some banking, you will need to show the passport original and not the copy. If you are using a credit card for shopping, they may ask to see your passport but your copy will suffice here. They are just doing a good job making sure that the person who owns the credit card is you.

Georgetown, Canada
Level Contributor
205 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: re: Grocery Stores & passport question

Thank-you so much for your tips as they are really appreciated!!!

Is the purpose of the photocopy of your stamped passport just to carry around with you?

nebraska
Level Contributor
1,040 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: re: Grocery Stores & passport question

Hattie gave very good advice. In a foreign country, it's always good to have a copy of your passport with you as it is an Internationally recognized form of identification. You don't mention if you'll be driving but we've been stopped by the traffic police many times and the driver is asked for his passport (or copy).

The reason for a copy with the date stamp is to verify that you are in the country within the issued visa period. I think many do it differently but we carry a printed copy of our passport & take a picture with our phone of the newest date stamp. It has worked for us.

ohio
Level Contributor
260 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: re: Grocery Stores & passport question

Hi we have been to coco before and are going in 3 weeks. There are 3 grocery stores in coco: automercado(by the Pacifico condos, this is where we are staying) Luperon (across the street-more locals ) and the third one down towards the beach and off to the left(cant think of the name) Where are you staying?

Huntsville, Canada
Level Contributor
368 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: re: Grocery Stores & passport question

When travelling abroad photocopy of passport is very important but what I like to do is have photocopies of ie drivers licences on your person photocopies of credit cards with reporting phone numbers all in case originals are lost/stolen. Also keep cash, credit cards, bank cards etc spread around in different places so that if something does go wrong not everything is missing.

Georgetown, Canada
Level Contributor
205 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: re: Grocery Stores & passport question

We have rented a condo in Playa de Coco for two weeks. (One week with our kids.. then we are shipping them home and our friends are joining us for the second week)

For a general idea..what would a loaf of white bread cost? Is seafood available?? We are excited to be doing our own thing but want to learn as much as we can before hand.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: re: Grocery Stores & passport question

What I usually do is make a little card - about the size of my passport. On this card, I put all kinds of information: my airline itinerary, my lodging with phone number and email, an emergency number, some passwords for places I visit on the internet, my credit card/debit card numbers with dates, etc -- all disguised -- and phone numbers to call in case my card(s) is lost or stolen.

Then, the information is all right there for customs declarations or immigration forms or as a backup - all in one place and easy to find everything without having to look through a bunch of stuff.

I do agree that having a copy of your credit cards (front and back) is very helpful.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
556 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: re: Grocery Stores & passport question

A loaf of bread is cheap, 2 or 3 bucks.

You asked if there is seafood? Coco is a fishing town! You will be able to find Dorado (Mahi Mahi), snapper, grouper, lobster, to name a few, and it may be the freshest fish you've ever eaten.

Coco used to mainly be a fishing town but since tourism has boomed here, many of the locals work in sport fishing tours, snorkeling tours, scuba diving trips and sailing charters (great winds here too!)

Enjoy!

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
1 post
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: re: Grocery Stores & passport question

We stay at Pacifico and usually shop at Automercado. The food is good (fruits/veggies etc) and is about as expensive as groceries in NYC. I don't find that I'm spending much more or less than when I'm home. I think this time, I'd like to try the other supermarket across the road where the locals shop to see if it's any less expensive. If you pay in cash in American $$, they will give you change in colones. When using my debit card, they would ask for ID and I would show my drivers license because I didn't walk around town with my passport. The seafood is delicious - I'm looking forward to buying and cooking salmon when we get there.

Have a great time!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,047 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: re: Grocery Stores & passport question

Auto Mercado is the place...and for more local kind of prices...El Luperon...

Lots of fresh seafood around Coco´s

Great fresh baked bread at Auto Mercado..

roadadvisor