We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Red Tides

Which Playas del Coco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
25 miles north of...
Level Contributor
91 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Red Tides

Was reading some old postings from Feb./2012 in the Playas del Coco forum about how bad the red tides were last year. Was just wondering how the tides are this year???

guanacaste
Level Contributor
3,091 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Red Tides

Not bad at all, I was around Coco this week, I just saw small red spot.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
545 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Red Tides

We had some COLD water current coming through last week. I did see a streak of red but it came and went in less than a day's time. The cold current brought in a LOT of fish and rays and dolphins. The water is back to being a wonderful temperature, visibility is great too.

Georgetown, Canada
Level Contributor
205 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Red Tides

We just got back on the 23rd.. We were there for 2 weeks and the water was wonderful but on our second last day I got swiped by a jelly fish in shallow (waist deep) water. I didn't see anything in the water.. but the waves were pretty strong and initially I wasn't sure what had happened. All in all.. not too bad.. but I ended up with some thick red welts on the sides of my leg. The beauty of the ocean.. is that it is alive at every moment. :-)

4. Re: Red Tides

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 March 2014, 05:15