We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Inshore vs Offshore Fishing

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
34 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Inshore vs Offshore Fishing

We are interested in doing some fishing while in Playa del Coco. From what I understand inshore fishing is more along the lines of the fish you would eat (snapper, grouper, etc) & offshore would be for the big game (sailfish, marlin, etc) We fished in Cabo & did both. Do most charters only do one, not both? Not sure which the group would prefer. Is there a charter outfit that someone would recommend in the area? There would be 6 of us, I understand the majority of boats accomodate 4 people. If we needed a larger boat, that would mean more $$$, but would like to be together. Thanks.

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Inshore vs Offshore Fishing

Most boat captains will do whatever you want to do but keep in mind you will need to pay upfront and offshore is always more expensive for the fuel involved... So if you pay for offshore and then decide to fish inshore, you just threw some money away. I do a lot of fishing with a buddy of mine here and it can take a while to find the deep blue water they look for in offshore fishing. It is usually a mad dash to get out because they may have to go as far as 30 miles offshore to find those conditions they are looking for.

Probably the best thing to do is go for the offshore and make the mad dash out in the morning, but tell the Captain you want to do a little inshore on the way back and they can head in a bit early to accommodate you. Snapper and Roosterfish are caught near the inshore islands and if your lucky you might even get a Wahoo. Best fish IMO is Dorado also called Mahi-Mahi and is caught offshore typically.

Guanacaste, Costa...
Level Contributor
113 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Inshore vs Offshore Fishing

Some inshore spots are 60-70 minutes boat running from Playa del Coco; so, it is considered an offshore charter due the boat running time. If you book a full day charter then the captain will have more chance to reach better fishing spots.

As i know, you can book a boat for 4 people and a basis price; however, you can bring more people if you pay extra money.

Check this operation in Coco, they work as i said above: www.costa-rica-fishingtrips.com/our-boats.htm

3. Re: Inshore vs Offshore Fishing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 April 2014, 07:17