We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time Traveler!

Which Playas del Coco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Draper, Utah
2 posts
Save Topic
First Time Traveler!

I've read a ton of stuff on here and everyone has put some amazing things to check out. My friend and I have been talking about going to CR but I want to get the ball rolling and really do it! I'm looking for all recommendations and pricing information. I've left the country before, but he hasn't. What's the currency exchange like? Best time of year to go? We're really into all the recreational activities that Playas del Coco seems to offer (surfing, kayaking, hiking, diving) and we're definitely outdoorsy people :) What's the best way to go about planning a trip?

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Time Traveler!

1. Playas del Coco (or Playa Hermosa) is the closest beach location to either of the two international airports. From LIR Liberia, it's 20-30 minutes.

2. It's also a great location for visiting some other nearby areas for day trips: Rincon de la Vieja (just under 1.5 hours) - check out http://guachipelin.com/one-day-pass.html - or the boat trip through Palo Verde National Park www.paloverdeboattours.com or visiting Santa Rosa National Park or even Tenorio National Park (about 2.5 hours).

3. The currency is the Costa Rican colon (plural: colones) and is right now around 494 to the US dollar. (Although when figuring in your head, most people just use 500) It's a good idea to have some colones which you can get from any of the many ATM's around (including one at the airport). However, most places will accept dollars.

4. This is a good resource to plan a trip to Playas del Coco: anywherecostarica.com/destinations/playa-del… and this: guanacastetogo.com/playas-del-coco-costa-ric…

5. Keep in mind: you won't find the white sugar sand beaches of the Caribbean - most of the beaches are of volcano origin and are off-white, tan, gray or black.

To get started: Figure out when you want to go and for how long; book flights with an airline; look at the lodging options and make reservations - you're done. You can arrange any excursions once you are here.

boston, ma
Level Contributor
96 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Time Traveler!

For the first time I would recommend LIR airport. It's so easy and convenient. There are a few boutique hotels right in towns. Heremosa has bosque del mar and villa del sueno. Perfect launching pad. You don't need to rent a car. Tour ops will pick you up at your hotel. It's a very laid back town 5 minutes to Coco.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
1 post
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Time Traveler!

We went to CR last year for 15 days, and this year we are going for 28. When we went last year, and when we are going this year is the middle of November into December. The prices are usually still on low season rates and you are just starting to get into the sunny, dry season.

We stayed in Playa Grande last year and LOVED IT. It's quiet, yet close to Tamarindo. That is a cool town. Lots of atmosphere, surfing, scuba diving and restaurants/bars. Playa Grande has lots of houses for rent, we used VRBO and used this website again when we are going in November this year.

This year we are staying in Playa Del Coco. Only because we wanted a change. We are going to be looking for land this time we are going down, we love it THAT MUCH!! Our daughter loves it there, as well as my wife. We have done a fair amount of travel, and so far this is our favorite country to visit.

We rented a car last time we were there, and had absolutely NO problems with driving around. Make sure you get a GPS unit from the car rental agency because the roads are not what you are used to. Very poor signage, but GPS unit had no problem getting us where we needed to go. You don't need to rent a car, but we found it very good when we wanted to just go.... whether to a separate beach, grocery store or Arenal Volcano.

4. Re: First Time Traveler!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2014, 06:21