We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is snorkelling any good in Playas del Coco?

Which Playas del Coco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Napanee, Canada
Level Contributor
119 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Is snorkelling any good in Playas del Coco?

My mom and 2 sisters are coming to Playas del Coco for one week in March. We love to snorkel and were wondering if the snorkelling is any good, and if we should pack all our snorkelling gear? (flippers take a lot of room up in a suitcase!) We also plan to do a lot of touring as we have never been to Costa Rica before and would love to see some of its natural beauty and wildlife.

Also, Where would be the best place for us to see monkeys?

Napanee, Canada
Level Contributor
119 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Is snorkelling any good in Playas del Coco?

We will have a car, so it depends on how far the drive is to Playa Ocotal???

canada
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: Is snorkelling any good in Playas del Coco?

Snorkeling in ocotol is decent if you arrive at the beach at Father Roosters go left to the end of the beach and there is a small island and a rocky shoreline that you can snorkel in. There has always been a large variety of fish and decent shelter from the wind and waves. When you are done it is always worthwhile to stop for a margarita and an excellent burger at Father roosters.

Napanee, Canada
Level Contributor
119 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Is snorkelling any good in Playas del Coco?

Sounds like a plan crw327.S Will have to check out ocotol. Good snorkelling followed by a margarita!

guanacaste
Level Contributor
3,091 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Is snorkelling any good in Playas del Coco?

The experts in diving and snorkeling in the Coco area http://www.richcoastdiving.com/Welcome.html contact Brenda or Martin.

Edited: 03 February 2014, 01:11
Niagara Falls...
Level Contributor
2 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Is snorkelling any good in Playas del Coco?

I'm currently living in Ocotal. I'd suggest just bringing your mask, as that's what's important for a good fit. It would be easy to snorkel around here without your flippers. I've only snorkelled at Ocotal once so far and it wasn't anything special, but I'm told that if you go to the left side of the beach (I went to the right) and also around to the next beach that it's much better. I also went on a 6-hour Arroyo Tours boat tour out of Coco for $40 (it goes each Thursday) and it took us to a beach that had good snorkelling, and we were there for two hours. They also provide snorkel gear at no extra cost. I haven't been to Playa Conchal so I can't comment on that. If you're only here for a week and you want to cover other activities too, bringing your own snorkel gear may not be worth it though.

Playas del Coco...
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Is snorkelling any good in Playas del Coco?

I didn't think the snorkelling was any good....I did get one little snorkel at the far north end of the beach (where the rocks were), but usually it was too rough to get in the water. I am not a strong swimmer, and always wear my own lifejacket which I take with me when I travel. While testing out the water for snokelling (it looked calm), a big wave came in (remember never to turn your back to the waves), knocked me down, and I lost my polaroid sunglasses. I also heard of others losing hats and prescription sunglasses. Be very careful of the water in Coco....it looks calm one minute, and the next there are giant waves. A young Costa Rican man drowned here in January...he was just 100 yards from the police station, and . gone out just to wash the sand from his bathing suit. There are these wierd waves that come back and hit you after they have come to shore. If you happen to get caught in this undertow (which I guess is what happened to him), it is VERY DANGEROUS. One other responder said that the snorkelling was good on one of the sailing trips (i.e. Marlin del Ray)...this was not so at all when we went out, (Marlin del Ray), but if you would like to do a sunset tour on a beautiful catamaran, and a great buffet meal, with any drink you could imagine, then I would highly recommend this trip, and yes, your grandma would love it!!

Playas del Coco...
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Is snorkelling any good in Playas del Coco?

There are some monkeys that live near the beach. If you go down the road that parallels the beach (turn right at the Lizard Lounge), continue down past the shopping plaza on the right (it has an anchor on the road leading to the subdivision), and the next street on your left, going towards the beach, there are monkeys.

We did the hike in Rincon de la Vieja National Park (not an easy hike), and saw lots of monkeys up close (they were near the little river)....just wait here and you should see a whole troop of monkeys....it was fabulous.

Playas del Coco...
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Is snorkelling any good in Playas del Coco?

Ocotal Beach is only 3 miles south of Playas del Coco.

Turn left just before you get to all the restaurants on the strip. You should see a sign pointing to Ocotal Beach.

Napanee, Canada
Level Contributor
119 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Is snorkelling any good in Playas del Coco?

The hike at Ricon National park sounds fantastic! Will have to check that out. We all love hiking and are really excited about seeing wildlife. Thanks for the warning about the undertow...wasn't aware of this danger in the area.

20. Re: Is snorkelling any good in Playas del Coco?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 February 2015, 07:17