We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Price of Tours out of Playas Del Coco

Which Playas del Coco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Campbell River...
Level Contributor
243 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Price of Tours out of Playas Del Coco

My husband and I will be in Playas Del Coco renting a condo for at least a month, December to possibly the end of January or so. We don't really want to rent a car due to cost. We do want to see some of the Country and have read tons about the various things to see and do. There is a lot of great suggestions and reviews for tours here on the forum but I have not been able to find prices for tours out of Coco. In order to budget and plan it would be so helpful to know what it might cost to take an organized or guided or group tour to various places. I tried a couple of websites but only tour descriptions were given, no prices.

Thanks in advance for any advice or information.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Price of Tours out of Playas Del Coco

anywherecostarica.com/destinations/…tours

I think you will be better off to rent a car for a few days here and there and do some stuff on your own rather than rely totally on organized tours.

For instance: You can rent a car for the day for around $50 and drive yourself to Santa Rosa National Park and Liberia. The same with an organized tour costs $88 per person.

The "safari float on the Corobici River" through Rincon Corobici is $50 per person, including lunch. It's about 1.5 hours from Playas del Coco and while you are there, you can visit Las Pumas Wildlife Rescue rehabilitation center which is less than a mile away. With an organized tour, the same "safari float" is $110 per person.

If you are a bit adventuresome and don't mind walking a bit, you can take the public bus into Liberia for shopping and banking and the "White City tour" that you would normally pay for. You can also take the bus to Liberia and another bus to Canas and get off at Rincon Corobici for your "safari float trip." The same bus will pass by the entrance to Llanos del Cortes waterfall which is about 3 km off the main highway (this is where the walking comes in!)

You can also take the public bus to some of the other beach towns in the area such as Tamarindo. A great day would be a bus trip to Playa Conchal since the beach there is one of the prettiest in the country. You can get a great seafood meal at a little place in nearby Brasilito. Take the public bus to the town of Guatil to see the authentic Chorotega pottery being made there. Of course, that means you can't buy that giant pot that you fall in love with!

To give you some ideas: www.thebusschedule.com/cr/ and this will help with distances and travel times: www.yourtravelmap.com

To rent a car -- check with Vamos, Solid, Budget or Adobe which are near the Liberia airport. I know there are a couple of agencies in Playas del Coco - but do your "internet homework" so you can compare.

You might also meet some other people at the condo complex who would be interested in sharing the cost of a car with you for a day or two of excursions.

Edited: 22 April 2014, 18:41
Campbell River...
Level Contributor
243 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Price of Tours out of Playas Del Coco

Thank you ever so much Hattie. You are a wealth of information and a great resource for those of us newbies to CR.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Price of Tours out of Playas Del Coco

You're very welcome, KLtravelbug -- thanks for the kind words. And let us know if/when you have more questions.

Georgetown, Canada
Level Contributor
205 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Price of Tours out of Playas Del Coco

If you do use a tour company...we have had very good experiences with Unique Tours. They are located near the Krispy Pollo going out of town towards the Auto Mercado grocery store. It's a little place with a white canopy out front. They are also not pushy. We never thought we were over charged and their guides were amazing. They also do smaller tours so you aren't going with a whole bus load of people giving you more freedom in your day.

Campbell River...
Level Contributor
243 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Price of Tours out of Playas Del Coco

Thanks beachjunky1971, I'll check out your suggestion. Sounds really good, just what we might be looking for.

Haverhill...
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Price of Tours out of Playas Del Coco

My experience w/ tours in CR....they do not give out prices for most, and are negotiated. So you will have to e-mail/ speak to them directly. There are obviously plenty of tour operators, so shop around.

FYI, for our recent trip to Arenal, we simply booked the transportation, and paid for the pieces (zip-line, hot springs, lunch and dinner separately), and found it to be cheaper. We also found that many tour operators added to the price for certain things as mentioned above, so the pay as you go strategy worked to our benefit.

Edited: 08 May 2014, 13:16
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
189 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Price of Tours out of Playas Del Coco

Although quiet a whole ago Mcamp, I see in your post that your booked transportation to Arenal... What company did you book with? Did they lick you up from playas del cod and go to Arenal? Could you also share who you booked your zip lining tour, hot spring, meals with?

I too am planning to not rent a car and am wondering from palays del coco how easy/hard I will be to find transportation to and from major sites like Arenal.

Thanks in advanced for the help!

8. Re: Price of Tours out of Playas Del Coco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 December 2015, 06:16