We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transportation in and around Playa Brasilito Costa Rica

colorado
Level Contributor
8 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
transportation in and around Playa Brasilito Costa Rica

we are renting a house in Playa Brasilito and wonder about the need to rent a car at Laberia airport for travel to the house and for excursions. Is it worth renting a car for the week or can one be rented in the area around Plyay Brasilito for day trips or a drive to Arenal? Can one get to Palaya Flamingo and Tamarindo easily without a rental car? We are going over Easter week.

Mentioned in this post
Playa Brasilito
Playa Brasilito
83 Reviews
Province of Guanacaste, Costa Rica
Flamingo Beach Resort And Spa
Flamingo Beach Resort...
2,263 Reviews
Playa Flamingo, Costa Rica
Tamarindo
Tamarindo
Wayne, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Playa Conchal
Level Contributor
1,642 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: transportation in and around Playa Brasilito Costa Rica

You won't have any problems getting airport or tour transportation, but getting back and forth to neighboring towns will be problematical. I would say a car is a good idea. I did't see any car rentals in Brasilito, and taxis are seen infrequently, so you would have to call for a car service. There is a car rental office inside Conchal, but the prices are 2x to 3x higher than renting a car in Liberia. I think some of the rental agencies will bring the car to you and pick it up, but I never did that, so I don't know who or how.

Arenal is not really a day trip, and I certainly wouldn't drive it myself if doing it for the day. Its about 5 hours each way. If you get a tour operator to take you, you can stay later and possibly see the volcano at night, letting the pro drive you home late.

Mentioned in this post
Liberia
Liberia
Costa Rica
Level Contributor
106 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: transportation in and around Playa Brasilito Costa Rica

to get around in the closer area everyday you can rent a bicycle in Flamingo or scooter in Brasilito. Flamingo has a Economy Car Office were you can rent daily.

For day trips to the Volcano's or the National Parks you are better off booking the trips including the transportation. It is just more stress free than driving yourself and trying to find everything.

Ask the Tourist Information Office in Flamingo or a Tour desk in a Hotel and compare prices for the trips.

Have fun

Mentioned in this post
Flamingo Beach Resort And Spa
Flamingo Beach Resort...
2,263 Reviews
Playa Flamingo, Costa Rica
Playa Conchal...
Level Contributor
2,059 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: transportation in and around Playa Brasilito Costa Rica

Try www.ecotranscostarica.com for airport transfers , at around $20 per person. I'd recommend getting the car, at least for a few days (there may be a 3 day minimum rental period anyway at Easter). Taxis are expensive here and the public bus service is patchy. I recommend www.mapache.com, a very professional local car hire company, although you may get better rates booking in the US with the big operators. Have fun!

Punta Uva, Costa...
Level Contributor
291 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: transportation in and around Playa Brasilito Costa Rica

I had a very tough time from Potrero (a 10 min drive from Brasalito) hiring taxis and arranging transfers to my hotel.

Know the cost before you get in a taxi or let your hotel arrange a "taxi" for you (which is just as likely to be a unemployed friend in a sketchy vehicle for 3-4x what your ride is worth).

I just returned this morning an in retrospect would have saved myself a lot of time, money and hassle having rented a car.

Otherwise the area is fantastic - don't miss Playa Conchal!

Mentioned in this post
Playa Conchal
Playa Conchal
1,137 Reviews
Playa Conchal, Costa Rica
5. Re: transportation in and around Playa Brasilito Costa Rica

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2009, 08:20