We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking the Turtle Tour

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,499 posts
230 reviews
Save Topic
Booking the Turtle Tour

Can someone tell me how to do this. We tried last winter and despite a hurculean effort by our hotel staff to reconfirm our bookings made months in advance, we never got on the tour. Any recommendations? We are going in Feb 2008. Thanks!

Mojo Surf Adventures
Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing
Frijoles Locos Surf Shop & Spa
Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing
YouAreCostaRica
Kayaking & Canoeing, Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks, Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing, Scuba & Snorkeling
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,327 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Booking the Turtle Tour

There are several ways to do this:

Many people book this tour through travel agents in Tamarindo - I do not have any personal experience with any of them, though, but I know that papagayoexcursions.com has been around forever.

You can also call the ranger station before your planned visit and register a reservation with them. I have two phone numbers but I do not know if they are still current: 653 0470 or 659-9194

Alternatively, you can also simply drive up to the ranger station in Grande and make a reservation for the next day. If you are really lucky, they might let you join a group the very same evening.

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,499 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Booking the Turtle Tour

We stayed right across the street at Las Tortugas and we were over there constantly trying to get on. Then the hotel staff tried to get us on. Passports were taken, photocopied, taken again...wierd. It seemed like buying plutonium would have been easier.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,327 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Booking the Turtle Tour

That does seem rather strange - I did not have any problems. I simply showed up in the evening, asked them if they had a tour, the said they did but that it was full but that I should simply wait until the tour was ready to leave. The tour left, we stayed behind for about a minute until another guide showed up and took us. I can't remember if we paid the guide or the guy in the ranger station. No passports need and no real hassle.

4. Re: Booking the Turtle Tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2009, 08:20