We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Playa Grande questions...

Salt Lake City
2 posts
Save Topic
Playa Grande questions...

Staying at Casa Muy Grande in April and had a few questions (the start of probably many) about Playa Grande.

-Does anyone know of a local place that rents bikes, scooters or motorcycles?

-Buying groceries and liquor. Should we stop at a supermarket on the way in or would the grocery store in Palm Beach Estates be sufficient to stock up for a week?

-Who has stayed in Casa Muy Grande and what was your experience?

1st trip to Costa Rica and I am stoked! Thanks in advance for any answers that any of you can provide.

Mojo Surf Adventures
Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing
Kayaking & Canoeing, Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks, Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing, Scuba & Snorkeling
Frijoles Locos Surf Shop & Spa
Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing
Playa Grande Shuttle & Tours
Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing, Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks, Taxis & Shuttles, River Rafting & Tubing, Boat Tours
Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Playa Grande questions...

We just spent a week in Playa Grande over Christmas. You'll have a GREAT time. I do not recall seeing a place in PG that rents bikes but there is one over in Tamarindo - Blue Trax. Beyond the name, I can't comment because we were thinking of renting bikes but didn't end up doing so.

Unless there is another market in PG than the one I'm thinking of (Malinches), I'd suggest stopping for groceries on your way in. Malinches is really nice (along with the restaurant attached to it) but it is probably more similar to a convenience store than a supermarket.

Hope this helps - you'll have a great time, I'm sure!

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,507 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Playa Grande questions...

I would be a little cautious about renting bikes in CR. The roads have no shoulders - zero, just a drastic drop and traffic whizzes by at break neck speeds. I do see the locals biking, but they are covered in road dirt, I mean covered. You could possibly ride them on the beach at low tide, that would be fun. Getting the bikes from Tamrindo to PG would be a first class pain. Cannot emphasize enough how bad the roads are in Tamarindo. Keep the questions coming, we need some fresh input!

There is a big grocery store on the road from the airport to PG that everyone goes to. I am sure that someone will give you the name. It is air conditioned and everything!

If you like Yoga check out the morning classes at RipJacks. The studio is beautiful and open air, and the class is quite a challenge while being lovely and fun at the same time. Its where the locals hang.

Thousand Oaks...
Level Contributor
600 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Playa Grande questions...

Please write a review when you get back!!We wanted to book that villa but was full on our dates. Booked another in Playa Potera instead but would love to hear you opinion. I've heard nothing but great things about that place. Have fun.

Bay Area, California
Level Contributor
41 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Playa Grande questions...

You can rent bikes at the surf shop across from Kike's restaurant. I think it was $10 for 24 hours. Have a great time!

5. Re: Playa Grande questions...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2009, 14:15