We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Costa Palmera

Playa Grande
3 posts
Save Topic
Costa Palmera

Our Family is staying at CP beach home at the end of this month.

Has anyone stayed here? I would love to know about the house and beach. Any safety concerns?

Restaurants on the beach that we can walk to, especially pizza.

Are zipline tours around this area all to the same place. I understand that there is one 20 minutes from the house, is this the same zipline behind Tamarindo?

What about a grocery store driving from Liberia?

Can you buy Michelob and Budweiser at the store.

Has anyone done ATV's in this area? Can my 14 year old son drive his own ATV?

We have two extra days after leaving the Costa Palmera.

Does anyone have any thoughts about the Hilton or another spot north on the beach closer to the airport?

Thanks and please let us know about Playa Grande and the area.

Thanks again,

Jim

Thousand Oaks...
Level Contributor
597 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Costa Palmera

I haven't stayed at Palmero, but we did look at it when we booked at Playa Portero. I would make sure that you loc the doors at all times. If they have an alarm system, activate it. Our villa had an alarm system and a guard but we never felt unsafe sitting outside at night.

Cant answer about beach restaurants. Would recommend trying some of the "sodas" around. We had great food. Zip line is the same.

There are several grocery stores on the way. The larger ones, supermeracos, are usually painted blue and are in the "larger" intersections. Make sure you stock up here. Buy the 6 liter water bottles for refills. Most of the other grocery stores are very small in comparison to the US. Don't buy Bud and Mich. Try Imperial (similar to Mich) and Pilsen (similar to Bud). They have Bavarian beer (dark and light) which was really good too.

There should be several ATV places around. Most so not let you ride on the beach due to turtles. Make sure you wear helmets, its pretty crazy sometimes.

We stayed at Playa Portero (by Flamingo) and it wasn't a bad drive to the airport. Nice beaches. Pay your $26 departure tax per person at a bank before you leave. Don't wait till you get to the airport.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Costa Palmera

We stayed at Costa Palmera about a year and a half ago and had an amazing time. It's a beautiful, luxurious property with unimaginable sunsets. We had absolutely no saftey concerns. While we where there, there were two on-property staff who lived in a small house next to us. Both of them were incredibly nice and helpful and took care of everything from security (locking the gates at night, etc.) to lining up beach chairs, doing laundry, cooking, cleaning, etc. There's also a gate that is right at the property's entrance and the staff had a guard dog which stayed around the property at night.

Playa Grande is getting more and more built up by developers (unfortunately), but while we were there, it still remained a bit secluded, so no restaurants on the beach. You could probably find more of this in Tamarindo, which is the next town and has a lot more to offer in this category. But due to the constant development going on, it's quite probable that Playa Grande has a lot more than it did when I was there. Regarding food in Playa Grande, we ate at a great restaurant in called Rip Jack's at the Rip Jack Inn. It's a short walk from the house and has great food. I also remember a pizza restaurant called something "Lena's." Sorry I can't remember the exact name.

We shopped at a grocery store in Liberia before leaving for Playa Grande called El Jumbo. True to it's name, it was a large grocery store that carried everything. But regarding beer, it was a lot of Imperial and Corona.

I don't really know anything about ATVs in the area, but we did both horseback riding and zip-lining in La Fortuna in Arenal. The zip-lining tour we did called (Sky Trek) supposedly has the longest zipline in Costa Rica. It was a blast and if you're willing to go to Arenal on those two extra days that you have, it's definitely worth doing it.

I hope you have as great a time as we did. Costa Palmera is truely a gem and we can't wait to go back in years to come.

UK
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Costa Palmera

can you tell me how you got in touch with the owner - I have been trying to book this place and cannot get a reply by phone or email?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Costa Palmera

hmmm.... Email and the US number listed on their website worked for us, but did you try calling them using the Costa Rica number? It's not toll free but it's worth a shot.

Here are the two Costa Rica phone numbers listed on their website.

Hope this helps.

Playa Grande
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Costa Palmera

Just back from Costa Palmera on Playa Grande.

House: Excellent location right on the ocean. great waves out your door. 4 bedrooms / 5 bathrooms.

A very cool lap pool with waterfall. All the creature comforts.

Beach: This is one of the great beaches. Not isolated but very few people, mostly surfers and famalies. There are several houses directly on the beach in Playa Grande. (carmela by the sea, casa del mar and few others)This really is paradise.

Excursions:

Surf lessons, very cool. go see Jay at the Hotel 50 yards from the house. He was great with the family.

ATV / Canopy at Santa Ana tours 15 minutes from the house. Most excitement of my life. Drive an atv up the mountain starting out on a beach. Zipline through the heavens with the monkeys.

Tamarindo: went to dinner at Las Baulas, great pizza.

The Auto Mercado is the best grocery store that we found in the entire country.

Other than that the town is a hell hole.

Rental Car: Definitely rent a car, just not from Hertz (franchise and hidden fees)

Roads: Were no problem.

This was one of the best vacations of our life.

Let me know if you have any questions about the area from a picky American.

Jim

Contact for rental house

(866) 315-0984 ask for Luk www.costapalmera.com

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Costa Palmera

We will be staying at Costa Palmera in the spring and are thrilled to see such nice (recent) reviews.

We are 2 families staying there - total of 8 people. We were thinking it might be better to hire a driver for the week rather than rent a car/van.

The info on the house indicates that they can make this arrangement for us. Wondering if you think that makes sense or better to have our own vehicle?

Also, they offer to have a cook come in and prepare meals. We thought that might be fun for a couple of nights, especially if we're out for the day. Did you try this? If so, what was it like? Worth doing?

Thanks for the info. We are looking forward to going.

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Costa Palmera

We hired a driver in PG for a two day trip up to Arenol, send me a private message if you want his name and contact info. He was impeccaby on time, spoke flawless English, and was cute as all get out. Also a really, really good kid (about 20 yrs old) and so gave us insight into what is happening in the youth culture in CR. Ceasar and his brother, Christian, own a surf business so they may or may not be available. We remember him so fondly, he made our trip wonderful.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Costa Palmera

Hi! I am looking at this home for May. What did you find out about the drivers and the cooks? I had the same questions as you did.

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Costa Palmera

We got our driver courtesy of Los Tortugas hotel. We figuered he would have a good rep to maintain if he regualarly worked for hotel guests. Cesar has a website if I can just remember what it is.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Costa Palmera

Thanks for the update....did you utilize their cooks? If so, how were the meals?

Thanks!