We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Risk of Dengue Fever?

Which Playa Grande hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Champaign, Illinois
Level Contributor
3 posts
130 reviews
Save Topic
Risk of Dengue Fever?

My husband and I want to travel to Playa Grande this May (mid-month). We were reading about the risks of Dengue Fever in Costa Rica, and it concerned us greatly! Can anyone let us know just how real of a risk it is that time of year, and possibly what we need to do to avoid it? We know to bring insect repellent and wear it faithfully, but I am especially concerned as mosquitos LOVE me (I tend to get eaten alive) and as it is I got West Nile Virus from mosquitos when we traveled to Mexico. It was a mild case, but Dengue Fever scares me a lot more!

Thanks in advance for the help/tips!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,412 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Risk of Dengue Fever?

Just so you know Dengue Fever is not limited to Costa Rica. between 1977 and 2004 there are nearly 4000 cases of Dengue in Miami alone. It's pretty common throughout the Gulf coast states.

I've been to CR 4 times and have never worried about it. Just use mosquito repellent with DEET and you will statistically be fine

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,026 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Risk of Dengue Fever?

I second the prior post 100%...I drive around Costa Rica in a daily basis...Caribbean, Pacific, Osa, Drake, La Fortuna, Monteverde, Cano Negro, Pacuare.etc, etc.

Most of my friends and family are here in Costa Rica...I only know one person that had the bad experience with DENGUE...and that was a cousin that drives a huge truck getting bananas in the Caribbean side of Costa Rica!

Another thing mosquitos ADORE me...so far so good thanks God!

Sincerely yours from PARADISE!

roadadvisor@hotmail.com

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in PARADISE!

Punta Uva, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Risk of Dengue Fever?

I'm at the Caribbean often, is a tropical rain forest in all the years that I been going there, I have never heard of anyone that I know getting Dengue. Deet is your friend!

Wailuku, Hawaii
Level Contributor
6 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Risk of Dengue Fever?

We have Dengue here in Hawai'i. You'll find it everywhere in the tropics. Sometimes we have a more serious "outbreak" and we have to be more careful about wearing repellent. It's really no big deal. Even if you did get it, it wouldn't be life-threatening. It's like a really bad flu.

Pura Vida.

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Risk of Dengue Fever?

Dengue is a big deal in the tropics.

Outbreaks tend to be in the fall

But can occur anytime

www.mdtravelhealth.com Correct info from Travel MD

There was an epidemic last august september in Quepos Parrita.Hundreds of people including a

few tourists got Dengue.

May is a good time and Playa Grande is a good area.

So just do insect repellant A/C room long clothing

in jungly areas you should be fine...

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Risk of Dengue Fever?

Dengue/DHF

Can be life threatening and does Kill...

Dengue and Dengue Hemorrhagic Fever. CLINICAL FEATURES. Sudden onset of fever, severe ... produces shock and hemorrhage, leading to death; ETIOLOGIC AGENT. Dengue ...

www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvbid/dengue/facts.htm

Tamarindo
Level Contributor
95 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Risk of Dengue Fever?

Dengue is much more common once rainy season is in full swing and the mosquitoes have had time to breed. Mid May is just the beginning or rainy season. You should wear repellent from dusk till about 8PM at night as that is when mosquitoes are most active.

I've lived in CR for 6 years and never gotten it and I never where repellent.

8. Re: Risk of Dengue Fever?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2009, 04:18