We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fishing and other questions for Playa Grande

Winston Salem...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Fishing and other questions for Playa Grande

My family and I are considering a Christmas vacation in Playa Grande. We would like to go fishing one day but don.t know if the fishing is any good around this area. If so, what are some of the good charter companies around town. Were also thinking of eating in Tamarindo several nights. What time dos the water taxi stop running every night? The house we are looking into is located very close to the estuary and I was wondering if you could swim in this area. TIA.

Mojo Surf Adventures
Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing
YouAreCostaRica
Kayaking & Canoeing, Scuba & Snorkeling, Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing, Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks
Frijoles Locos Surf Shop & Spa
Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,674 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fishing and other questions for Playa Grande

Great fishing in the area...maybe one of the best areas in our country...you can check...www.tamarindosportfishing.com...ask for Randy Wilson and or his wife Petra...lovely people...Randy one of the best capatains in the area...he really knows fishing there ...close to 40 years fishing our waters!

roadadvisor

Playa Flamingo...
Level Contributor
143 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Fishing and other questions for Playa Grande

If you go down to the marina in Flamingo/potrero you will most likely get a better deal. There is great fishing here and you will have a great time. As for swimming in the estuary, I personally wouldn't, but that's just me. I'm not sure if there are crocs there, I haven't seen any yet, but they are always on my mind. Safe travels.

www.happierthanabillionaire.com

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,674 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fishing and other questions for Playa Grande

Of course no crocs in Flamingo...or Potrero...my God!

roadadvisor

Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
747 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fishing and other questions for Playa Grande

Playa Grande is very nice but little shade and strong currents for swimming. Fishing is excellent and the prices everywhere are very competitive. Prices start at $250 for a half day and go up from there depending on how long you're out and the luxury level and size of the boat.

There are tons of great restaurants in Tamarindo. The water taxis stop around 5:00 p.m. A regular taxi will cost around $30 - www.pdqtaxi.com

There are crocs in the river but they don't normally come out by the river mouth - personally I'm not swimming there ;)

Check out this for what to expect and various available boats:

xplorecostarica.com/Categories/Sportfishing.…

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
53 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Fishing and other questions for Playa Grande

Do not swim at the estuary that is between Tamarindo and Playa Grande, there are crocodiles. There is actually tours everyday to go see them.

Playa Grande, Costa...
Level Contributor
4 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fishing and other questions for Playa Grande

Sportfishing has been good lately... Petra and Randy at Tamarindo Sportfishing run a professional outfit, and will take care of you. Their boats are very well maintained, and their crew experienced. Half day trips start around $580 but gas has gone to around $6 a gallon and these prices might change...

Boos Adventures have panga boats for sportfishing too, a little cheaper, simpler boats, but still a fun day... they leave from Flamingo bay. Great crews too, and Christian and Christina will take care of you.

There are lots of dining options in Playa Grande, even down in Palm beach estates where your house is located. Hotel Bula Bula offers an extensive menu with fish done how you like it (blackened tuna is HOT and good)... Jamaican jerk chicken, turkey dinners, and much more....

The Cantarana is also close by your house, and has a professional european chef creating molecular cuisine and other delicious 5 star meals for a special occasion...

Towards the north end of Playa Grande are many options for dining too- the RipJack Inn, Marbar, Playa Grande Inn... Cafe del Pueblo for pasta and pizza... Sushi is on at the RipJack 2 nights a week too... Kee-Kay's Place (spelled K-I-K-E-s but the trip advisor spellcheck would not let me write it out citing profanities!) for local food and a Costa rican feel...

In Tamarindo, we love Carolinas Restaurant, Seasons by Schlomy and sushi at Bar One is great.

Despite swimming across the estuary numerous times many years ago, we don't recommend it... the water taxi runs everyday from around 7am to 5pm except Sundays when it is a little less reliable! For $1 each way, it is worth it to not swim!

Hope you find this info helpful..

Brasilito, Costa...
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Fishing and other questions for Playa Grande

that time fishing is generally good, there are good chances of catching something in the area, the best area to go fishing is to flamingo beach tamarind if you are renting a car posisbilidad would be great,

Tamarind restaurants to go

Noguis, copacabana, Dragon flight,

I hope you have a good holiday

if you want to ask you can see some of our boats and we can help

www.pininosadventures.com/sport_fishing.html

you can see the charters

here

www.pininosadventures.com/fishing_boats.html

Playa Conchal...
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Fishing and other questions for Playa Grande

if you want a fishing pininos adventures these people can help them know the area and fishing equipment is the best

You can make the query and if you can rent a car for your trip to Tamarind think it would be best, so you can have better time and save some money

check this link

www.pininosadventures.com/fishing_boats.html

9. Re: Fishing and other questions for Playa Grande

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 11:16