We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Playa Grande vs Playas del Coco

Offenburg, Germany
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Playa Grande vs Playas del Coco

I am planning a trip with my girlfriend and we both don’t like spots that are too touristy, but still like to have the availability of bars and restaurant around if we feel like it. I am currently looking both at places in Playa Grande and Playas del Coco. What would you suggest, especially beachwise. We will spend most time at the beach, and will probably explore different beaches most of the days by driving around, but I’d like to know which one of the two might be better for us. We both like to surf but we are no surfers, so we wouldn’t do that all the time. Is the beach in Playa Grande good for just swimming and chilling, or are the waves too big?

Would Playas del Coco be better for that? Is the water there calmer and better for swimming/snorkeling and so on?

Mojo Surf Adventures
Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing
YouAreCostaRica
Kayaking & Canoeing, Scuba & Snorkeling, Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing, Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks
Frijoles Locos Surf Shop & Spa
Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing
Playa Grande Shuttle & Tours
Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing, Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks, Taxis & Shuttles, River Rafting & Tubing, Boat Tours
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Playa Grande vs Playas del Coco

Playa Grande is less touristy than Playas del Coco but is has a greater selection of bars and restaurant compared to the few Playa Grande offers. For surf Playa Grande is your best choice and it is fine for just swimming and chilling as well.

Playa Conchal...
Level Contributor
2,059 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Playa Grande vs Playas del Coco

Chalk and cheese. Playa Grande is remote, undeveloped, also dangerous for swimming with strong rip currents. It is a beautiful beach, home to Las Baulas National Park. Unless you're a serious surfer you may feel a little isolated.

Playa Coco is far more developed and touristy, good range of restaurants, lots of vacation rentals, dark sand beach, not known for surf or snorkeling.

I'd recommend Playa Conchal and the closest town Brasilito, 20 minutes north of Playa Grande. Conchal is one of the few sheltered beaches so safe for swimming and snorkeling. Known as one of the most beautiful beaches on the north Pacific coast. A good selection of accommodation and restaurants in Brasilito, which is a small typical beach town.

www.footprintscostarica.com

Hope this is of use, have a great trip!

Mentioned in this post
Playa Conchal
Playa Conchal
Province of Guanacaste, Costa Rica
Brasilito
Brasilito
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
48,929 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Playa Grande vs Playas del Coco

HI Dennis!

If you are looking for people...Coco´s beach is the one...

Playa Grande is a nice beach...for some reason my ancestors call it PLAYA GRANDE...BIG BEACH or LONG BEACH in good old English!

Some strong currents...not the best beach for swwiming ...of course is OK but please common sense...and if possible once at Playa Grande ask locals about where is the best safest place to swwim...do not take INTERNET adice about how safe the beach is!

roadadvisor

4. Re: Playa Grande vs Playas del Coco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11 October 2011, 19:35
5. Re: Playa Grande vs Playas del Coco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2011, 00:59
Offenburg, Germany
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Playa Grande vs Playas del Coco

Thanks for your replies.

@diver77 I'm thinking about staying in Brasilito at Cabinas Ojos Azules. seems like a good place for a decent price. Is there any place I can see some more pictures of the place? I especially wanna see the bathrooms, just to make sure its not dirty and mouldy. There is no report on tripadvisor yet, and the pictures on their website and facebook page are nearly all of the outside area.

Mentioned in this post
Brasilito
Brasilito
Playa Conchal...
Level Contributor
2,059 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Playa Grande vs Playas del Coco

I'd definitely choose Cabinas Gloria over Ojos Azules. The rooms are clean enough, but very basic and worn-think cement block rooms, shower heads missing etc. Also pretty noisy.

footprintscostarica.com/footprints_hotels.php

Offenburg, Germany
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Playa Grande vs Playas del Coco

what about diversion tropical?

Tamarindo
Level Contributor
95 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Playa Grande vs Playas del Coco

The beach at Playas del Coco is kind of gross and it definitely has a north american tourist trap vibe. You can read up on Playa Grande at http://www.surfingplayagrande.com Way calmer, smaller more off the beaten track vibe with one of the prettier beaches in the area...

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
812 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Playa Grande vs Playas del Coco

I'd definitely second Brasilito. The beach right there isn't anything spectacular, but right next door -- walking distance -- is Playa Conchal, super beautiful, Caribbeanesque. Lots of great, affordable restaurants in Brasilito.

I'd look into Conchal Hotel, next door to Diversion Tropical. Maybe a little more per night, but it's a really cute, nice, comfortable place. It's very special.

Mentioned in this post
Brasilito
Brasilito
Playa Conchal
Playa Conchal