We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

map of Playa Grande

Which Playa Grande hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Edmonton, Alberta
Level Contributor
31 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
map of Playa Grande

We were able to fine a great interactive map of Playa Samara that shows where the beach is and the locations of all of the hotels, stores and restaurants there. We would love to be able to find and print one for Playa Grande since we will be there for 1 week in Feb./07. Can anyone help, there does not seem to be as much information on Playa Grande as other places in Costa Rica.

NY
Level Contributor
1,365 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: map of Playa Grande

Playa Grande is tiny. I was also looking for a map before our trip and couldn't find one. As you drive in you will pass a pizza place and a surfing shop, some budget cabinas, then the turtle museum and the turtle tours meeting spot, and a block later Hotel Las Tortugas. The road goes to the right to some houses (including the only 10 or so that are actually on the beach). If you turn left by the turtle museum and go a block you will see Rip Jack Inn and Playa Grande Inn (PGI). Continue on for another 2 kms on this mostly deserted dusty road and you will enter Palm Beach Estates - a vacation / retirement housing development with several hotels including Bula Bula. You can see the map of this development on the following site, just press on Real Estate - http://www.unicaribbean.com/second.html All hotels have restaurants. Hope this help you imagine a map.

Edmonton, Alberta
Level Contributor
31 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: map of Playa Grande

Hello Travel 10000,

Thank you for that bit of information on Playa Grande. We are trying to plan our week there with some tour ideas or nearby places/beaches to see during our week. It sounds like you have been to Playa Grande, did you do any tours or see any nearby beaches to recommend other than Tamarindo? We would NOT be disappointed to just having a relaxing week in Playa Grande but we are trying to find some other ideas in case we feel adventurous!

Thanks for the info.

Playa Grande, Costa...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: map of Playa Grande

I have another map of Playa Grande. Just need email address to send.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
79 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: map of Playa Grande

PG-FT-Resident...........if you have a good map site, please send. We will be there for 10 days beginning Dec. 6. I can't really tell where the house we are renting is located. These boards are so helpful.

Edmonton, Alberta
Level Contributor
31 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: map of Playa Grande

Hello PG-FT-Resident,

Thanks for the map information on Playa Grande!

You can send it to me at:

iftrupp@telus.net

Edmonton, Alberta
Level Contributor
31 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: map of Playa Grande

Hello marshgirl,

Please let us/me know all about Playa Grande once you get back!

We will be there for 1 week in Feb./07 and this is our first time in CR so we would love to hear more information about it so we can plan our week. Have fun, what hotel are you staying at?

Berkshire
Level Contributor
602 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: map of Playa Grande

hi PG FT

thanks for your previous help. please could we receive a copy of your map of playa grande.

lyndon.b@btinternet.com

thanks

North Carolina
Level Contributor
79 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: map of Playa Grande

mexicolover........... if you get a good map from PG-FT-Resident , please forward it to me. I will do my best to send you a trip report when we get back. I just hope I have not made a mistake planning our trip for 10 days staying there. We rented a house called "casa muy grande" right on the beach. I am really combing the internet and forums to learn all I can.

padams2@ec.rr.com

NY
Level Contributor
1,365 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: map of Playa Grande

mexicolover - We were in Playa Grande for only 2 nights, so didn't do any tours besides the turtle tour. I think kayaking the estuary would be an interesting activity. We did that elsewhere in Costa Rica and it was amazing with the mangroves and the wildlife. I heard a boat tour in Palo Verde is nice also. If you want to do a tour to one of the volcanoes it would require hours of driving each way, so even though they are offered as day tours I would not recommend them. Instead, if you want to see other parts of the country (like volcanoes, rainforest, cloud forest, etc. that are simply amazing) consider splitting your days and not spending a whole week in Playa Grande. For me it was just too hot to be out on the beach during the day and the water was too warm, not refreshing, so I wouldn't last a week there. It's very dark in the evening so make sure to bring a flashlight for your walks - no sidewalks or street lights. Look up at the stars - I have never seen so many. And the beach there is amazingly beautiful, the tidal pools cute, and watching the crabs and whoever lives in the conical shells is fun. Once you walk to the north end of the beach you can supposedly walk a little inland, across a stream, and onto the next beach behind the hill - a black sand beach - but we were just too tired from the heat to keep going that far. In Palm Beach Estates it was weird seeing the beautiful houses with the green manicured gardens lining a dusty unpaved road (basically packed sand) with potholes and dips that require a full stop to get through.

Edmonton, Alberta
Level Contributor
31 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: map of Playa Grande

Hi marshgirl,

Yes I will send you the map of Playa Grande once I receive it.

It sounds like the house you rented will be wonderful right on the beach! You can always go to nearby places to see other parts of CR that are a few hours away so I would not doubt yourself too much. We found that when we were deciding on places to stay for our trip that you can not possibly do EVERYTHING or see it all on 1 trip. We would prefer to not be stressed moving around from place to place so we are staying 1 week in both places.

Have a great time and can not wait to hear how it goes, tell us all about it.