We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Telestial Cell Phones

Florida
Level Contributor
837 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Telestial Cell Phones

Has anyone heard anything about this company? The sell international unlocked phones and SIM cards at what seems to be decent prices.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,303 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Telestial Cell Phones

Never heard about them...maybe buy the unlocked phone and once in Costa Rica buy the ICE SIM card!

roadadvisor

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Telestial Cell Phones

You can just bring your unlocked cell phone from home and buy a prepaid SIM card once you are here. No need to buy another phone.

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,294 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Telestial Cell Phones

Agree with Hattie. That method works well. However, make sure the cell phone supports the 1800 frequency. A quad band or tri band will. However a simple phone you might have in the US usually will not. If you don't have one you could try to buy a cheap one on somewhere like EBAY

I know nothing about Telestial. However, I had a look at their web site. They say "While we do not carry local prepaid Costa RicaSIM cards, we recommend that you consider our Passport US Roaming SIM Card for service at this destination."

If the rates shown for this are actually the rates with no hidden catches - they do not seem too bad - though a local sim is cheaper.

raquel

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
290 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Telestial Cell Phones

When we traveled to South America a few years ago, I purchased an unlocked quad band phone. It worked perfect in Costa Rica as well when we were there this last trip. I purchased a SIM card when we arrived in San Jose and popped it in. I would recommend doing this as it is just too easy. You can get quad band phones for cheap online. There are quite a few companies that ship cheap electronics from China.

5. Re: Telestial Cell Phones

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 February 2011, 06:17