We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in Playa Hermosa (Guancaste)

Rochester,NY
Level Contributor
84 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Staying in Playa Hermosa (Guancaste)

We are staying two night hopefully in Playa Hermosa. From what I have read, I think it sounds better in terms of attractiveness and not quite as busy as Playa Coco.

Could anyone recommend a lovely, yet budget priced, hotel or villa? I have looked at hotel Villa del Sueno. Any thoughts on this property or suggest someplace else?

Also, if we drive to Rincon de le Vieja, how long would the trip be? Again, any thoughts?

Thank you so much for any guidance you can offer!

Playa Hermosa...
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Staying in Playa Hermosa (Guancaste)

IslandAnne, if you don't want to rent a car you definitely need to fly into Liberia. Distances in Costa Rica are deceiving, because of the state of the roads. In general, count on twice as much time to drive somewhere as you would at home. Example: Rincon de la Vieja is about 60 km, and a 1 1/2 hour drive from Playa Hermosa. You do the first 50 km in an hour, and the last 10 km in 1/2 hour, because it's a bad gravel road. If you're not renting a car, go with one of the tour guys and then you don't need to worry about your tires!

BTW, November is probably the nicest time of year in Hermosa!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
313 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Staying in Playa Hermosa (Guancaste)

Thank you and other TA members for all the great advice. Our trip has changed a lot since I first started planning it. At that time I was not at all familiar with CR. Now, not only am I more familiar, I'm more excited to visit after seeing all the pics and reading all the reviews. Now we're flying in to Managua; staying in Granada for 2 or 3 nights; going to San Juan del Sur, staying there 2 or 3 nights. Then we'll cross into CR and stay at Playa Hermosa for a week. During the stay we want to explore many areas. At the end of our week, we'll spend 1 or 2 more nights somewhere not too far from Liberia and fly out of Liberia. I'm continuing to watch these posts to get more ideas. TA members are really full of great, current information.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,172 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Staying in Playa Hermosa (Guancaste)

Good to know about the cleaning of those pushy ugly foreigners trying to sell real estate in that area...it was miserable for a while...everything was gossip and greed...good to heard that some body stop that ugly battle!

Thank you Papagayo for the clarification!

roadadivsor

Maple Ridge, Canada
Level Contributor
550 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Staying in Playa Hermosa (Guancaste)

IslandAnn,

Sorry for the late reply. Anyway, I did my trip report. We also spent the day in San Juan Del Sur. Wished we could of went to Granada. Anyway, you should take a look. Its in the tripadvisor trip report thread.

Have a great holiday,

Sue

San Diego...
Level Contributor
313 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Staying in Playa Hermosa (Guancaste)

sueinbarrie: I was so excited to read your trip report, but I can't find it! ;-(

I looked in the trip report section and in the regular section. What am I doing wrong? Thank you!

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Staying in Playa Hermosa (Guancaste)

islandanne: if you are staying at Playa Hermosa, you are close to Liberia and about 30 minutes or less from the airport. You might consider spending a couple of days in the Rincon de la Vieja area just for something different. Check Hacienda Guachepelin - one of several possibilities there.

Maple Ridge, Canada
Level Contributor
550 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Staying in Playa Hermosa (Guancaste)

IslandAnn,

Heres the link, but if it doesnt work it is currently on page 13 of the trip reports and its the last post (Url) on that page. Hope you find some useful info there. Let me know if you still cant get it and I will send you a pm.

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g291982-i813-k42419…

18. Re: Staying in Playa Hermosa (Guancaste)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2012, 05:17