We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car rental---in costa rica

Which Playa Hermosa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas, Texas
1 post
Save Topic
car rental---in costa rica

planning a ten day trip to see the west coast of costa rice, any suggestions on a good place to rent a 4 wheel drive car from---using san jose airport.

San Jose
Level Contributor
1,000 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car rental---in costa rica

There are several very good rental car companies in Costa Rica. Remember that if you rent out of the airport you will be subject to paying the tax of 12%, some companies with satellite offices closely will send someone to pick you up at the airport and bring you the office for car pick up, and no tax to be paid. I always recommend Europcar www.Europcar.co.CR as they've always delivered!

guanacaste
Level Contributor
3,091 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car rental---in costa rica

www.adobecar.com

costarrican owned, new vehicles

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1 post
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car rental---in costa rica

That is good information. Did you also buy the additional insurance? Some car companies require a "guarantee" of $3,000 USD.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,225 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: car rental---in costa rica

I will for Adobe as well...or just the big guys...Hetz...national...Alalmo...Budget...Dollar..

roadadvisor

denmark
Level Contributor
628 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: car rental---in costa rica

Big guys are not always the best. Have a look at

http://www.servicecarrental.com/costarica.htm

Kirsten

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,225 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: car rental---in costa rica

Totally agree with some people big guys are not the best ...but in case of a dispute you will have most of the time ...at least one answer...with the small guys...you can almost kiss your money good bye!

roadadvisor

7. Re: car rental---in costa rica

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 February 2017, 23:00
Boston...
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: car rental---in costa rica

We just got back from our trip and flew into San Jose. We rented a car from Hola Rentals. They are not located right at the airport but they are cheaper. When we arrived, the car was at the airport waiting for us and we signed the papers. When we returned the car to the rental agency (it's about 10 miles from the airport in San Jose) you drop it off and they drive you back to the airport free of charge. They were very professional and we have no complaints.

Punta Arenas, Costa...
Level Contributor
787 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: car rental---in costa rica

And another vote against the big guys. My daughter and her partner rented a Nissan 4x4 from Tricolor Rentals, and their service was excellent. Even with a problem (left the radio face back in the hotel room...several kms away) they didn't have to kiss their money good bye..Tricolor waited patiently while the courier took several days to bring it back! I would recommend them to anyone wanting a good fleet to choose from with an Airport and Central SJ location.

Uvita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Uvita, Ojochal
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: car rental---in costa rica

I have used various car rental companies and also in my line of work get involved with them occasionaly when vistors encounter problems. Some have been outstanding and others not so much.

Can recomend the following as great service providers when something goes wrong: Alamo, Mapache, National, Budget and Toyota rent a car

Go on the CR websites of the above and compare prices and deals. Most if not all are Costa Rican owned and have some kind of franchise or licence deal.

Some others might be good but not experienced them.

Was disapointed with Herz and how they have treated some people with lack of response to issues they had with the car after renting, mechanical problems that they were left to deal with themselves as Hertz did not have an adequate replacement available.

Some smaller companies just don't have the infrastructure, network and cars to help out when you are far from there home base in San Jose. Though Poas and Tricolor seem to do a good job as well.

To add to the various recomendations by above posters like adding mandatory insurance, also make sure you inspect the car on delivery and every scratch and make sure it is noted on the contract by the agent. And I mean EVERY one! It may apear to be picky, but once you return the car most agents will do a detailed walk around and if there is a scratch that was not noted it will get charged. Not all agents will be that thorough but beter be safe than sorry!

Enjoy your visit!

Get answers to your questions about Playa Hermosa