We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Who should we use to take us snorkeling around playa hermosa

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
27 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Who should we use to take us snorkeling around playa hermosa

We have gotten a few emails from our travel company and the hotel that we are staying at but I am not really interested...Any good ideas for travel Jan 20-28th 2012? We have our own gear and are experienced.

Playa Hermosa...
Level Contributor
867 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Who should we use to take us snorkeling around playa hermosa

There are a number of sailboats in the area that offer morning and afternoon excursions or there are "pongas" on the beach that will take you to good snorkeling sites. All you have to do is walk down to the beach and the operators will find you quickly.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
669 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Who should we use to take us snorkeling around playa hermosa

If you have your own snorkel equipment you can go snorkeling right off the beach there in Playa Hermosa. When you are facing the water, walk to the right side of the beach and you'll see some rock and reef.

If you want a guided tour to other snorkeling destinations off a boat, well...like the other guy said, there are a number of ways to go. You can go in style and comfort on a motor yacht or a sailboat, or rent a panga (smaller fiberglass boat with a bench seat or two and maybe a canopy for sun protection.)

There are many more options in town than your hotel might offer.

Just doing a google search you might come up with more options. Or if you tell me what kind of boat you are interested in going out on, I have suggestions. Some snorkeling tours off a boat include open bar of beer, sangria, rum and other non alcoholic beverages in their rates, as well as nice snorkeling equipment if you want to save room in your luggage.

Let me know if I can send you info on sailing/snorkeling tours, motor boat snorkeling tours, etc. Also if you are renting a car and want to travel around to different beaches and go snorkeling solo, I can point you to the nice snorkeling spots.

Heather

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
27 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Who should we use to take us snorkeling around playa hermosa

We will have a car and can get to other locations (with in reason)

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
48,221 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Who should we use to take us snorkeling around playa hermosa

Try and ask for insurance and permits to work in Costa Rica...nothing better that a good sailing with a company that is fully insured, certified to work in our country!

roadavisor

5. Re: Who should we use to take us snorkeling around playa hermosa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 12 January 2012, 16:23
Playa Hermosa...
Level Contributor
867 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Who should we use to take us snorkeling around playa hermosa

Seabird does an great sailing/snorkeling tour and if you have a car there is not better snorkeling than in Ocotal, off either side of the beach. I have been snorkeling there since the mid 90's and operated sailing snorkeling tours until 2006.

I know what roadadvisor is getting at, he gives good advice. Over the years many boats doing tours did so without licensing, legal registration or with insurance, lack of life jackets and basic safety equipment. Fortunately tighter regulations have eliminated most of the illegal boats and there is now a good selection of legal, safe and fun boats.

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
27 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Who should we use to take us snorkeling around playa hermosa

Thank you all! See you on the beach in a week!

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
669 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Who should we use to take us snorkeling around playa hermosa

Throughout all the years of doing sailing tours, I don't think one tourist has asked me for papers. Tour vendors have, of course, and we volunteer them before they even asked.

An easy way to tell if a boat is legal to be in this country is to look for the Matricula on the side of the boat. It will be a series of 3 letters followed by numbers. Our is GPC 9207. Ahhhh, what a great day it was the day we got that number!

That Matricula could be for private or personal use though, so to know if any particular vessel is legal to do tours, the Certificado de Navagabilidad has to state that the vessel is used for "Pasajeros."

anyway. Probably way more than you cared to know!

Snorkeling! You can drive over to Ocotal and Bahia Pez Vela or go the other direction to Costa Blanca. I have not been there in a long time but we used to go park the car at the end of the boulevard where there is a guard shack at the entrance to Costa Blanca. It has been closed for awhile now, but you can walk through and continue walking through a gate at the end and go down the dirt road to a beach where usually NO one is ever at. Great snorkeling there.

Or take the car out the Peninsula Papagayo, follow signs to Playa Nacascolo. Go in the morning when the winds are less strong and park in the secure parking lot off the round about. There are free shuttles to take you through the Four Seasons property and down to Playa Nacascolo. Snorkeling is best in the morning, but pay attention to the tides because if it is an extra high tide, there is not much beach to enjoy. But during low tide it is one of the most beautiful beaches in the area.

Exton, PA
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Who should we use to take us snorkeling around playa hermosa

Dear SeaBirdCr,

I have a question regarding driving to Playa Nacascolo - this is exactly what we were going to do, however, I was told it is on the Four Seasons property and not easy to get to. But, it seems you are saying it can be accessed by anybody. Could you be so kind as to elabarate on this a little bit? Where would we find signs to the Playa Nacascolo you are talking about? Which road should we take from Bosque Del Mar? Also, is it possible to get to other beaches on the Four Seasons property - Playa Blanca, Virador and Prieta?

Thanks so much!

Canada
Level Contributor
362 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Who should we use to take us snorkeling around playa hermosa

This company operates out of Playa Hermosa, I think they mostly do scuba but you could inquire with them. My husband did all of his diving with them and found them to be very professional

http://www.costaricadiving.net/index.htm

Get answers to your questions about Playa Hermosa