We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Book stores in Liberia/Playa Hermosa/Coco?

Quitman, Texas
Level Contributor
142 posts
220 reviews
Save Topic
Book stores in Liberia/Playa Hermosa/Coco?

Are there any book stores (new or used) that would have English language books in Liberia, Playa Hermosa or Playa del Coco?

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Book stores in Liberia/Playa Hermosa/Coco?

Not that I know of. There might be some small place that has some but mostly, you will need to rely on hotels, etc, that have "libraries." Some will have books to read or swap and other will sell them.

These days, most people who are avid readers will bring Kindle or Nook to make sure they have what they need.

Quitman, Texas
Level Contributor
142 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Book stores in Liberia/Playa Hermosa/Coco?

Good to know. I ran across a used book store in Quepos a few years back and thought there might be a similar business in Guanacaste. Thanks!

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Book stores in Liberia/Playa Hermosa/Coco?

There was a book store in Tamarindo that had used books in English but I don't know if it is still open. For this kind of thing, you need to be in an area with LOTS of English-speaking tourists and expatriates. Playas del Coco might have something that I am not aware of.

If this is really important to you, then you can contact Seabird Sailing. She lives in Playas del Coco and can give you the "insider scoop."

Definitely nothing in Liberia.

Quitman, Texas
Level Contributor
142 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Book stores in Liberia/Playa Hermosa/Coco?

Thanks -- I'll do that!

Playa Hermosa
Level Contributor
148 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Book stores in Liberia/Playa Hermosa/Coco?

Go to Pato Loco Inn in Coco.

They have a small amount of books for trading.

Edited: 14 February 2012, 15:59
Quitman, Texas
Level Contributor
142 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Book stores in Liberia/Playa Hermosa/Coco?

Villa-Kokomo, thanks for the advice. After finishing the reading material that we brought with us, we took 3 books there yesterday and found a pretty sizable collection to choose from to make a trade. Appreciate the info -- would have had no idea that this was an available option if you had not posted!

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,434 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Book stores in Liberia/Playa Hermosa/Coco?

Jaime Peligro Book store has branches in Playa Tamarindo, Quepos and Nuevo Arenal,

…tamarindohomepage.com/bookstore.html

raquel

guanacaste
Level Contributor
3,094 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Book stores in Liberia/Playa Hermosa/Coco?

In Liberia , at the Mall, east of Liberia on Road #1, Libreria Universal.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Book stores in Liberia/Playa Hermosa/Coco?

The Universal store has a VERY limited selection of books in English and probably not worth the trip from Playas del Coco.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
632 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Book stores in Liberia/Playa Hermosa/Coco?

Yeah, no book stores in Coco. I think Auto Mercado has a the largest book selection in Coco ... and that is small!

Jose b is right, in Liberia, at the mall up on the third level is that big shop, with a VERY limited selection, but I think that just might be the biggest selection!