We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Samara, Nosara or ?

Which Playa Samara hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hamilton canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Samara, Nosara or ?

My wife and I visited Costa Rica in 2006 - this time we are bringing our children aged 7 and 10. We are renting a small SUV in Liberia and want to spend about 4 days on the beaches of Nicoya before going to Arenal and Monteverde area. We land in Costa Rica on December 29th. On our last trip we spent time at Playa Grande (which is beautiful) but were thinking of going elsewhere this time. We are looking to relax, maybe try surfing, enjoy the local scene and since our kids love the water - swim too of course. Having a car will let us try out a few different beaches if we would like; however, our biggest decision is where to base our stay. We don't need a hotel right on the beach or even in the middle of a town. A safe, clean and authentically friendly place is what we are looking for. If there's a pool - that's great too. Since we're there over new years, it would be nice to be somewhere fun for that night. Any suggestions or specific accomdoation ideas are much appreciated. Thanks!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,047 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Samara, Nosara or ?

Dear rollingaround..

Lovely idea..your kids are going to love the rides...Nosara or Samara ...great beaches...HURRY up and find somenthing around...you are arriving around the PEAK PEAK season...maybe a great person like Allylam in this forum that livesa around Nosara ...maybe she can be so kind and help you finding somenthing...I know she knows almost every body around Nosara...and some in Samara...

About the 31st do not worry the whole country is in a big party...not hard at all to find some fun!

roadadvisor

Punta Uva, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Samara, Nosara or ?

The beach in Samara is safer for your kids, but the surfing is much better in Nosara. In Samara everything is within walking distance, in Nosara, things are most spread out, since you have a car, no worries. i love both towns, tough decision.

Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
Level Contributor
2,071 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Samara, Nosara or ?

Thanks roadadvisor for the nice message. I just got back from a very, very long day of travel from San Jose back to Nosara, (9+ hours!) because as you know, the bridge south of the Delta Gas was closed.

I had posted a long message to 'rollingaround' and I'm so tired, I hit a wrong button and lost it all. Too tired to start over now, but

I promise I will sign in tomorrow with a detailed report on Samara and Nosara!

Hamilton canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Samara, Nosara or ?

Oh! sorry to hear of your long drive and lost message - to try to help me.

After Roadadvisor's warning about booking, I've been contacting a few places in Carrillo and Samara and am hearing that there isn't vacancy except if I change our dates a bit. This trip was a bit of a late decision in part because I found some very cheap flights which makes the trip almost affordable.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,047 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Samara, Nosara or ?

Dear rollingaround

I toll you about the kind of person she is...sorry to herd about Ally Lam hitting the wrong button...

Was not my idea at all to scare you...but I thought was good and responsible of my part to let you know!

roadadvisor

Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
Level Contributor
2,071 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Samara, Nosara or ?

Good morning! I'm refreshed now!

Sounds like you've investigated Samara already. I made some phone calls this morning here in Nosara. Most hotels are already booked for that time, but I did find that La Aqua Viva has some availability still! Not on the beach but close, less than 5 minute drive. Nice pool, beautiful rooms and restaurant. You might try to contact them. They have a web site....

Have you considered a house rental? I have a friend who had a cancellation 2 days ago in a 2 bedroom house in Pelada, walking distance to beach, you can contact her, Ann Marie, at ame10000@aim.com.

Also have another friend who has clients checking out of her AWESOME home on the 28th , so you could squeeze in there on the 29th! Her home is really amazing. She is up on the hill above Guiones beach and has stunning views of the entire beach. She also has a huge pool for the kids!

You can contact her (Micki) at mickipricesavage@gmail.com.

I have a phone call into a guy at Surfing Nosara that has most of the rentals here in Nosara/Pelada. He's out surfing right now but his associate tells me they have a couple houses left so as soon I hear from him I'll let you know!

Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
Level Contributor
2,071 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Samara, Nosara or ?

If you're really set on Samara, there is an apartment above a restaurant on the beach that is not well know so may still be available. I'm trying to find an email address for you, and will post if I find it. In the meantime, you can try to call Nicole at 506-2656-0811.

Hamilton canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Samara, Nosara or ?

Thanks Allylam,

I didn't know much about house rentals. I did just look at L'aqua Viva - it seems out of our price range and some reviews seem a little alarming. I will contact the homes you listed though. An apartment above a restaurant sounds a little 'busy' for what we were thinking of.

Thanks for your help!

Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
Level Contributor
2,071 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Samara, Nosara or ?

I understand completely about budget. Unfortunately at this time, for peak season, it's going to be on a low end or high end! I do have a lead on another house, from another friend that would be much more budget friendly. Very quiet area, but 10-15 minute walk to the beach. I you'd like to discuss offline, send me a Private Message and I'll do what I can to help you!

For those of you following this, NO, I am not the rental agent for any of these places, I just happen to know a LOT of people here as I've lived here for so long!

Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
Level Contributor
2,071 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Samara, Nosara or ?

Oh, about house rentals. They are very popular in this area. Basically, it gives you the entire house, including kitchen, but you will not get hotel amenities like restaurant, bar, room service, gym...you are basically renting out someone's home. There may or may not be a garder or pool service that comes by during your stay, but you would be made aware of this. Unlike some areas, like Hawaii, the price you will be quoted will include all taxes, and there are no cleaning fees. You would have access to a maid upon reqest for an additional fee (it will vary depending on the manager) but it's generally around $5 per hour and they would do as much or as little as you want. There are also 'cooks' you can hire to come in if you don't want to cook for yourself.

House rentals are a real nice option for people who don't need a 'hotel' environment, and at this late date, it may be the best option for you!

Get answers to your questions about Playa Samara