We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

general prices and haggling

Mammoth Lakes...
2 posts
Save Topic
general prices and haggling

I realize this is a VERY general question because everyone has different for daily levels of comfort, but how much would be a good amount to budget for food and modest gifts? Also, would anyone recommend making reservations for the zipline tour or other tours far in advance?

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15,313 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: general prices and haggling

50 - 75 US$ gets you a decent room with breakfast for two. Typeical lunch - casado is 10 US$, dinner 20 - 25 with drink.

Michigan
Level Contributor
90 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: general prices and haggling

Prices are generally pretty similar to the US (much to my surprise). Generally there is no haggeling (like in the US). I tried. ;-) But from talking with people and from experience, generally the price quoted is what you get.

US
Level Contributor
115 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: general prices and haggling

we haggled at a couple of souvenir shops in the Arenal area when we got $20-30 worth of things. Got a few bucks knocked off easily. Some of the souvenir prices were a little high so that's why we did it. On stuff like food, tours, etc I don't think it would be possible to haggle.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: general prices and haggling

Some tours and activities if you book direct MAY discount at least part of the kickback, sorry I mean commission. Less likely in high season I would guess. Food prices very similar to US unfortunately.

Edited: 04 January 2012, 01:10
Michigan
Level Contributor
90 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: general prices and haggling

yeah, if you are doing the touristy thing (i.e. things tour guides book for people) ask for a discount if you are going direct.

If you are dealing with locals, local stores, markets, etc. - there isn't much room for haggling.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,438 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: general prices and haggling

Just openly ask for discounts...since you are paying cash...many times you do not need a middle person to book tours...and yeas again you can wait until, you are here...just be carfeull who you may be dealing with...now days even surf shops are playing Travel Agent...dealt drirect with tour Operators or travel providers...the best the ones ceritified by ICT Secretary of Toursim of Costa Rica!

roadadvisor

Pleasanton...
Level Contributor
409 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: general prices and haggling

I have to say there is something refreshing about the price being the price. You don't walk away feeling like anybody ripped you off, or like you ripped anybody off.

I agree with the others - prices are (surprisingly) similar to the US.

Orange County...
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: general prices and haggling

Road Advisor......are you insinuating that one may get a discount at some establishments by paying cash? Why would one get a discount for paying cash? Might it be that the establishment has a higher likely hood of being able to duck the sales tax obligation if the buyer pays in cash?

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: general prices and haggling

Some hotels or tours will give you a discount for cash. It helps them avoid the credit card merchant fees. Stores, restaurants, etc - the price is the price.

Orange County...
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: general prices and haggling

Hattie.......if you really believe the hotel or tour operator is giving you a discount for cash payment to avoid the 3% credit card merchant fee might you also be interested in buying the Puente de Amistad?

Ask the establishment that gives you a discount for cash payment for a valid factura. Bet the discount is suddenly pulled off the table.

The reality is that most establishments who offer cash discounts are doing so to avoid the payment of the 13% sales tax.