We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Samara vs Nosara or other beach towns...

chicago
Level Contributor
8 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Samara vs Nosara or other beach towns...

We're staying at Punta Isilta for a few nights and have another couple of days to spend on the peninsula... Any recommendations for a nice beach town that has good options for food, an authentic atmosphere, and is pretty chill? After staying at a resort I'm thinking it would be nice to stay in a small beach town. We want to head north of Punta Islita to keep our drive to Monteverde manageable - Nosara would probably be our northernmost option... Thanks!

Sámara, Guanacaste...
Level Contributor
114 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Samara vs Nosara or other beach towns...

Hi. Nosara is a good option as well as Samara and Carrillo. Samara and Carrillo have great restaurants on the beach and what many people like about these towns is that the locals and tourist mingle and hand out at the same places so you have a great balance of atmosphere and people. Also, Samara and Carrillo are only about 30-45 mins from Punta Islita. Have fun!

Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
Level Contributor
2,190 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Samara vs Nosara or other beach towns...

If you want more of a 'Costa Rican' beach town that is easy to walk around then Samara is the place. Nosara is much less crowded and more spread out, and feels a bit like an 'ex pat' beach town as opposed to a 'Costa Rican' beach town. I like it here but it's not very 'authentic', IMO.

Slave Lake, Canada
Level Contributor
85 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Samara vs Nosara or other beach towns...

I would cast my vote for Playa Samara. We stumbled onto it in 1999 with our two children (then 11 and 8), returned with them as teenagers in 2005, and just spent 6 incredibly relaxing days there in February as a middle aged couple (yeah middle aged if we are going to live to over 100). We have loved it every time. It has grown and changed over the years, but in a really good way.

Slave Lake, Canada
Level Contributor
85 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Samara vs Nosara or other beach towns...

oops, I mean January of this year

Edited: 05 February 2012, 15:06
5. Re: Samara vs Nosara or other beach towns...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 February 2013, 10:19