We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much travel time between Manuel Antonio and Samara

Which Playa Samara hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lenexa, Kansas
Level Contributor
2,236 posts
174 reviews
Save Topic
How much travel time between Manuel Antonio and Samara

I am booking plane reservations today. We will fly out on Friday, May 25 and return on Tuesday, June 5. I am looking at spending time at Manuel Antonio (at least 4 nights) and Arenal. We could possibly spend time at another destination, but don't want to spend a lot of our time on the road. We want to relax.

1. How much travel time is it between Manuel Antonio and Samara?

2. How much travel time is it between Samara and Arenal/Fortuna.

Toronto
Level Contributor
51 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much travel time between Manuel Antonio and Samara

When we drove MA to Samara it was about 5&1/2 hours with a lunch stop I think. A bit less from Arenal I'm guessing.

Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
Level Contributor
2,044 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much travel time between Manuel Antonio and Samara

I drove to Manuel Antonio from Nosara last week, and it took about 6 hours with a lunch stop, so I would agree it would take about 5-1/2 from Samara.

Time between Arenal and Samara will be about 3-1/2 hours.

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
7,817 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much travel time between Manuel Antonio and Samara

check the handy driving map - yourtravelmap.com/costarica/… nifty little map for self driving.

Cheers

Sámara, Guanacaste...
Level Contributor
114 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much travel time between Manuel Antonio and Samara

The times mentioned above are pretty accurate. The roads to all these places are paved and in good conditions. Have a great time!

Anchorage, Alaska
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: How much travel time between Manuel Antonio and Samara

6 hours total with a stop for lunch. The roads are very good until you get to the turnoff (from the highway) for Nicoya/Samara. Allow 1 1/2 hrs to drive from the highway turnoff to Samara.

Sámara, Guanacaste...
Level Contributor
114 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How much travel time between Manuel Antonio and Samara

Hi Liane,

Not sure when you came of what the conditions where but from Nicoya to Samara it is 45 minutes. The road is all paved, a bit patchy, but all paved.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,017 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How much travel time between Manuel Antonio and Samara

Let me try to give you a good answer based on my daily drives around my dear country!

1. How much travel time is it between Manuel Antonio and Samara?

Manuel Antonio to Barranca about 1.5 hours...from Pana Am Hwy to Amistad bridge about 1 .5 hour...and from Limonal to Nicoya about 1.5 hours...and from Nicoya to Samara 45 minutes...all roads in great condition as today!

Total 5.15 hours...

2. How much travel time is it between Samara and Arenal/Fortuna.

Depends which way...but From Samara to Nicoya 45 minutes...take the road toward Liberia about 1.5 hours...to Cañas 1.5 hours...to La Fortuna around the lake from Cañas...2.5 hours or a little less...

By the way this week the road around Arenal lake is close!

roadadvisor

Sacramento, CA
Level Contributor
12 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How much travel time between Manuel Antonio and Samara

Does anyone have any idea how much it would cost to hire a driver/taxi/bus to get from MA to Samar, or is renting a car the only option?

Sámara, Guanacaste...
Level Contributor
114 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How much travel time between Manuel Antonio and Samara

hi bjg896,

A private shuttle from Manuel Antonio to Samara is around $260. You can rent a car for one day just to drive here I would be much less than the $260. For the bus option, you will need to make some transfers since there is nothing that does direct from Manuel Antonio to Samara. There is a semi-private shuttle that goes from Manuel Antonio to SJO and then SJO to Samara. I know a lady did this but from Samara to Manuel Antonio and the total as $90. It would be a matter of finding out if there is an afternoon shuttle from SJO to Samara.

Have fun!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,017 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How much travel time between Manuel Antonio and Samara

Renting the car is not the only option...but really is a good option...go for the rent a car option...make sense and not set up times...

roadadvisor

Get answers to your questions about Playa Samara