We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tired old question about vehicle rentals, but I have to ask.

King of Prussia...
Level Contributor
306 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Tired old question about vehicle rentals, but I have to ask.

Yes, I know any question about vehicle rentals gets old so fast. I know that in Costa Rica one's best bet is just buy the whole bag of insurance and get over it so there will be no surprises at checkout. With that said, does anyone have an experienced opinion about which might be the better choice for a solid 4wd SUV: Wild Rider or Dollar Costa Rica?

Portsmouth, Virginia
Level Contributor
276 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tired old question about vehicle rentals, but I have to ask.

your question can be easily answered by your performing searches of the forum archives specific to the two companies you mentioned.

King of Prussia...
Level Contributor
306 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tired old question about vehicle rentals, but I have to ask.

Thanks. I did that search and more to get to the point of asking this question on this forum, requesting recent opinions. We shall be travelling next month and I need to make a decision. I did look you up and find your reference to

ezinearticles.com/…

That was a resource that I had not found, and I thank you for that. It appears that Wild Rider is eliminated since we will be arriving at LIR.

Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
4,101 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tired old question about vehicle rentals, but I have to ask.

There are several companies that have proven reliable. However, ALL of them get negative reviews from time to time.

Wild Rider seems to be a notable exception by being consistently praised by travelers. However, as you noted, they do not serve LIR.

I have rented hundreds of times from Alamo without problems. I have also rented dozens of times from Budget without a single issue.

I have rented twice from Dollar - also without problems. However, I must point out that I always felt somewhat uneasy with Dollar without ever being able to put my finger on what, exactly, made me feel uneasy. Perhaps it's just a numbers game which makes me think that Alamo is the most reliable, followed by Budget.

If push came to shove, however, I don't think I would turn away from Dollar. Like I said, I have not had any negative experiences.

BTW, I have also rented from Economy with mixed outcomes - and thus, would NOT recommend anyone do so.

King of Prussia...
Level Contributor
306 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tired old question about vehicle rentals, but I have to ask.

Well, I ended up make the choice of Vamos Rent-a-Car. I will certainly respond with a review after our November trip.

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
Level Contributor
2,649 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tired old question about vehicle rentals, but I have to ask.

Please do - it might be a tired old question but companies do change and so it is worth checking and double checking how recent reviews are on them. And glad you found the article useful, GL! Have a great vacation!

Linden, New Jersey
Level Contributor
112 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tired old question about vehicle rentals, but I have to ask.

I'm booked with them for December, please do! :)

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tired old question about vehicle rentals, but I have to ask.

I see you already made a decision, but thought I would post my review for others who may still be looking

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g291982-i813-k5774…

King of Prussia...
Level Contributor
306 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tired old question about vehicle rentals, but I have to ask.

We are back having spent Thanksgiving week 2012 in the environs of Samara. We rented from VAMOS in Liberia. We reserved a Suzuki Jimny, but they gave us a Mitsubishi Montego Sport. (about 3 times a big, powerful, and nice) They honored the original price. We had purchased full insurance. The car came with a cell phone, GPS, and a cooler which was a nice touch. It was not brand new, so it did not stick out like a gringo rental car at all, but had great tires and worked perfectly. It was a diesel and got super mileage.

VAMOS was off airport, paperwork took about 5 minutes on both sides. No surprises at all about anything. Overall it was a great transaction and experience. I would do it again when I return.

Kitchener, Ontario
Level Contributor
9 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tired old question about vehicle rentals, but I have to ask.

See my post here;

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g291982-i813-k5931…

10. Re: Tired old question about vehicle rentals, but I have to ask.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 17:19
Get answers to your questions about Playa Samara