We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Declining rental car insurance

Which Playa Samara hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Breckenridge
Level Contributor
53 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Declining rental car insurance

What is the experience when renting a car in Costa Rica, I know it is require to have 3rd party liability, unless you can prove credit card coverage, is the credit card brochure from its web site enough documentation

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
806 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Declining rental car insurance

We declined the optional insurance by just verbally telling them we had coverage at home. No questions were asked. You do have to take their "mandatory insurance" though.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
14,526 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Declining rental car insurance

Third party liability insurance is obligatory and mandatory, not "mandatory". It is imposed by the law of the state of Costa Rica and is unavoidable, both for the rental company as for the renter. All other insurances are optional, so they can be declined without telling those pesky folks about your reasoning to decline them. They will insist, as selling the insurance is almost as important, and much more profitable, then renting the car itself. However, in case of an accident, you are on your own, you will need to cover all expenses/damages to rental car on site. For such an instance a rental company put a hefty hold on your credit card.

guanacaste
Level Contributor
3,091 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Declining rental car insurance

In most rentals is $10-$20 per day, I recommend it .........

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,110 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Declining rental car insurance

Agree with jose b...

roadadvisor

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Declining rental car insurance

Check with your credit card company to see if a CDW (collision damage waiver) is a benefit you receive when renting with that card. It is available on both my gold and platinum cards but it specifically states on each waiver not to take any additional coverage.

SE Wisconsin
Level Contributor
16 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Declining rental car insurance

We called our credit card company and had them email us a certificate which showed that we were covered with dates and location. Thrifty's website said we'd need that. Still got a LOT of pressure at the counter to take their coverage.

Now that we are here, I'm wondering if we should have just taken full coverage from them. Much more difficult driving here with people and animals of all types appearing in the road and flat tires seem very common. Would be some peace of mind to know we are covered without getting charged then trying to work it out with a third party.

Twillingate, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Declining rental car insurance

DO NOT RENT FROM ADOBE RENT A CAR!!

Our experience with Adobe was horrendous. From start to finish they tried to bamboozle and fleece us. We paid the mandatory insurance but declined the CDW as we were already covered through our credit card. Brought booklet to show coverage but this was not satisfactory to them, though they kept the booklet after I asked for it back. Was going to pay the extra $70 just to get out of there but then realized they had rental dates wrong and it was now an extra $700. I had to call credit card company to email letter. Was not permitted to leave until form letter was received. It took 3 hours to get out of their offices. Then told to get to Jaco from San Jose to take Route 1. Four hours later we finally reached our destination. Should have been sent on Hwy 27 which takes an hour. Now it's time to leave and we are charged $108 for an imaginary dent by the bottom of the passenger door. Could not see dent, Took pictures ourselves and still could not see dent. Now back home starting a claim to be reimbursed and realize I needed the booklet they took. I would have known that I should have received many forms with details of dent with their pictures etc. All we received was a credit card bill for the $108 and the form we signed the first day. Oh yes and then there was the $8.00 fee for the gas. We had just filled up at the gas station and drove 0.25 of a mile to the rental office and that seemed to make the gas gauge go down a notch to the tune of lets milk them just a wee bit more for declining our insurance. DO NOT RENT FROM ADOBE RENT A CAR unless you like bureaucratic bulland a very large pain in your keester.

Samara
Level Contributor
817 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Declining rental car insurance

Alamo in Samara, which is the only rental company in town, can waive the collision damage insurance with just a verbal request.

Have fun!

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
806 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Declining rental car insurance

That's awful about your experience with Adobe johildebrand. Ours was just the opposite. Wonderful service and no problems whatsoever. We rented in Tamarindo. Maybe that makes a difference???

10. Re: Declining rental car insurance

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 March 2014, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Playa Samara