We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquito Netting Necessary...?

Which Playa Samara hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Beverly MA
Level Contributor
166 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Mosquito Netting Necessary...?

Looking to stay on Samara Beach mid January in accomodations(upper level) without airconditioning or screens on the windows. There is mosquito nets over the bed in 1 room,but not in the main living area where older family members will be sleeping. Are there nightime breezes to keep us comfortable that time of year?

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquito Netting Necessary...?

There may or may not be nighttime breezes.

But you can buy at any supermarket a little plug-in device -- like a plug in room freshener -- that has mosquito repellent in the insert. I have used this several times and it really works - and the smell is not obnoxious. You can also buy mosquito coils to burn either indoors or outside to help keep mosquitoes away from the house.

If there is no air conditioning, there will be a fan, I am sure. Either a floor fan or a ceiling fan.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,105 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquito Netting Necessary...?

I use to stay for months in Samara...and for me that mosquitos really love me ...it was hard at sunset...at night just as Hattie recomend...and it works...

Roadadvisor

Beverly MA
Level Contributor
166 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquito Netting Necessary...?

Thanks for the good tips. We will get those coils and plug in repellant devices when we get to Samara..or earlier if we see them.

Mi Wuk Village...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosquito Netting Necessary...?

I like the coils. Cheap, available every where and not subject to power failures in remote areas. At one hotel without screens we had the ultimate mosquito protector. Turns out there were several small bats in the ceiling. They kept the room mosquito free. Or hope there are geckos in your room.

Beverly MA
Level Contributor
166 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mosquito Netting Necessary...?

I think coils and geckos(if they can walk up stairs) will work just fine! So I can skip packing the netting?

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mosquito Netting Necessary...?

I wouldn't pack any netting. One of the issues with using netting is: How/where do you attach it? I think your plan with coils, the plug-in and geckos will work!

Mi Wuk Village...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Mosquito Netting Necessary...?

Hicocamp, geckos are lizards who can not only walk up stairs but climb walls and run across the ceiling. You will know when they are at work because they make a cute chirping sound.

Beverly MA
Level Contributor
166 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mosquito Netting Necessary...?

That's great to know...Thanks!

Pleasanton...
Level Contributor
409 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mosquito Netting Necessary...?

I have read that the mosquito coils are really unhealthy for us to breath, also they only work right where the smoke is. I haven't had any luck with the plug-ins, but the mosquitos LOVE me. Personally, I wouldn't sleep in a place without screens without a net. I think I know where you are staying. Have you asked them if they can provide nets over the day beds? They may already have hooks and extra nets. Surely you're not the first to request it. I did hear a rumor that this hotel was thinking about putting screens on the big opening, but I don't know if it's really going to happen. Super Samara used to sell bed nets upstairs, but the last time I checked they didn't have any. I would start with the hotel first and see what they say.

Beverly MA
Level Contributor
166 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mosquito Netting Necessary...?

I will ask them about nets above the day beds. I will email the hotel today.Thanks!

Get answers to your questions about Playa Samara