We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Palo Verde and other birding sites

minneapolis
Level Contributor
85 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip to Palo Verde and other birding sites

Coming to stay at Samara Palm in early April. As an avid birder, I would like to take a birding trip to Palo Verde one day during my visit. Is there a local guide who will drive, guide, and then drive back, or are there better alternatives? Also interested if someone has advice on good areas to hike and bird in the area on my own. Staying at Samara Palm, and then Punta Islita. i will not have a car. thanks.

Samara
Level Contributor
946 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Palo Verde and other birding sites

Hi. There are tour operators that offer day trips to palo verde. They include transportation, guide, boat tour and a fabulous lunch. The price is more or less $100/person. The tour does require a 4 person minimum but it is a popular tour so the likelihood of finding more people during the time you are in Samara are high.

Other tours around the area that would be great is the River Kayak Tour which specifically focuses on birds, a hike with a biologist and there are 2 trails that are free and you can do on your own.

Have fun!

Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Palo Verde and other birding sites

Some good birding sites around Samara that you can get to on your own:

1) The mangroves at the end of the road to Playa Buena Vista (about 2 km from Samara but a nice walk on its own), herons, egrets, that sort of thing.

2) The trails that head off into the forest from across from the Samara Pacific Lodge. Best in the early morning.

3) Up along the creek from the beach to the bridge (in Samara)

4) On the rocks out at Isla Chora, lots of Pelicans roosting and frigate birds flying overhead (in March anyway).

Have fun!

3. Re: Day trip to Palo Verde and other birding sites

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 December 2014, 05:17