We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need advice - Hotel Punta Islita or JW Marriott Guanacaste

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
697 posts
101 reviews
Save Topic
Need advice - Hotel Punta Islita or JW Marriott Guanacaste

We are looking to book a trip to Costa Rica for a February getaway (four -five days). I'm looking at these two hotels because I can do them on points. Both look very nice, although Punta Islita looks a bit better to me. I'm curious about dining options nearby both; we don't like to just eat at the hotel all the time and like to have options to experience local food - we're up for anything from side-of-the-road type places to fine dining and anything in between as long as it's local. Also, what about things to do, other than those offered by the hotels? As gorgeous as Punta Islita looks, I'm wondering if it's a bit too remote to be able go out and about. We will want to do a bit of just nothing at whatever hotel we stay at, but I also want to be able to see some of the local area.

Any feedback is appreciated!

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need advice - Hotel Punta Islita or JW Marriott Guanacaste

Hotel Punta Islita is gorgeous - but isolated. If you want to do more off the resort property, then JW Marriott would be better.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
9,516 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need advice - Hotel Punta Islita or JW Marriott Guanacaste

You're really comparing apples and oranges here. The Hotel Punta Islita is a boutique luxury hotel (57 rooms) on a beautiful beach in a very isolated location. It has received numerous awards from Travel & Leisure as one of the top hotels in the world. Very limited restaurant options, just a couple of simple places nearby, but there's plenty to do with a number of tours featured on their website.

By contrast the JW Marriott is a huge property with a huge pool and more restaurants onsite but with 337 rooms it has a totally different feel. Closer to Liberia airport and closer to Rincon de la Vieja if you want a daytrip to a volcano but the tradeoff is that it's a huge resort.

I'd choose the Hotel Punta Islita any day but I have different criteria than you indicated for this trip.

Edited: 29 December 2013, 22:34
Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need advice - Hotel Punta Islita or JW Marriott Guanacaste

Yeah, I would also choose Punta Islita - but - based on your criteria......

Of course, the town of Samara is 30-45 minutes away from Punta Islita and there you would have a good choice of restaurants and things to do and shopping.

Edited: 29 December 2013, 22:40
minneapolis
Level Contributor
84 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need advice - Hotel Punta Islita or JW Marriott Guanacaste

Played golf at Marriott several years ago while staying at Capitan Suizo in Tamarindo and i thought i was at a US resort. after a lenghty cab ride, i played eighteen on a nearly empty golf course and saw little activity on this sprawling resort. happily, left to go back to Tamarindo after spending over $200 on golf, and passing up very expensive lunch option on a verandah that i might have seen at any other Marriott resort throughout the world. Saw very little nature, and it felt very isolated from the Costa Rica that i enjoy. We will be staying at Punta Islita in two months, and it appears that hotel is set in a much more natural setting. At least i hope so.

Liberia, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
52 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need advice - Hotel Punta Islita or JW Marriott Guanacaste

Yes, JW Marriott has a few restaurants on site, plus is close to Tamarindo which is over flowing with restaurants.

Previous posters have summed up the differences between the two properties well. My personal preference is Punta Islita, too.

6. Re: Need advice - Hotel Punta Islita or JW Marriott Guanacaste

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 January 2015, 06:20
Get answers to your questions about Playa Samara