We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hard beds at Riu

wigan uk
Level Contributor
718 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
hard beds at Riu

I have read on many reviews about the beds being hard at the Riu. Is this because they are new and they will soften will use?

I thought I had read a review where someone asked the room boy to make them softer and he put something on them - does anyone think this is possible?

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
19 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hard beds at Riu

I am basing this off a couple of reviews I have read as I haven't visited Riu yet, but it was mentioned quite a few times in reviews that if you call down to the front desk, you can ask for a mattress pad if you find the mattress too uncomfortable. I'm definitely keeping this advice in mind for when I go next month!

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hard beds at Riu

There are one-inch or two-inch thick foam "mattresses" readily available in Costa Rica. The staff could put one of these on top of your too-hard mattress, if necessary. Of course, "hard mattress" is a matter of opinion and varies from person to person.

Garry Pawson, I have to say that reading this gave me a little chuckle. You might have some kind of health problem where you need a mattress "just so" and if so, pardon me. But I have to say, I added your post to my list of funniest or oddest posts or questions about Costa Rica. And, yes, I'm keeping a list.

The top of the list, you say? "Are hot springs at Arenal chlorinated" ties with "Can I buy diapers in Costa Rica."

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,520 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hard beds at Riu

I've stayed at 2 Riu's (not Costa Rica) and I can definitely understand your question. To me the beds are rock hard and I'm guessing this is the way they are specified in each property, probably to preserve mattress life and save some money. Saying that, I think ALL Riu's have a stash of mattress pads available, so just ask.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,524 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hard beds at Riu

Maybe because I like hard beds I did not notice , that the beds were hard...for me good enough...but of course you can always request a softer bed, at least you can try!

roadadvisor

wigan uk
Level Contributor
718 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hard beds at Riu

Hubby is not really bothered about the bed and infact 'he tells me' prefers a hard bed. I am not really sure if it will bother me - I can fall asleep anywhere - On a flight I just tend to plant my bum down and my eyelids follow - so I should think any kind of bed would be ok for me. It is just reading the reviews - and I tend to read them all - everyone seems to bring it up.

We are going in January - the reviews were brilliant when we booked it - then it all went down hill with the 'theft spates' when that passed all seemed well again and I was happy - some people also with concerns went and wrote good reviews. Then last month was a spate of bad reviews - they all seem good again now - well mostly. It is all to do with what you expect on holiday.

We never use room service - so that is not a problem. We like a drink and stay up late - so noise should not be a problem. We are perfectly capable of getting our own drinks from the bar during the day, and we don't know many all inclusives where you do actually get served other than meal times.

We are going on holiday so we don't care if we can't get a phone signal or internet - its nice not to be bothered by these things for a couple of weeks. We intend to go and chill out and rest - with perhaps a couple of trips - so I think this hotel will suffice and I am not going to worry any more!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glad to hear I keep you entertained - always aim to please!!

USA
Level Contributor
1,420 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hard beds at Riu

I've traveled all over Latin America for decades and rock hard beds just seem to be the rule. Folks there just believe they are healthier. In the old days in southern Mexico and most of Central America you used to see big iron rings mounted in hotel room walls. Not left overs from the Inquisition, but rather a lot of people traveled with hammocks and a couple of metal S hooks. It was a lot better way to sleep. Progress.

Texas
Level Contributor
328 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hard beds at Riu

Never been to the Rui, but I'd agree with the last post - we have traveled a few places in the Caribbean and Central America (Jamaica, Belize, Guatemala, Mexico) and the beds are always much harder than your standard American beds (not sure how they compare to UK beds) I'm not a huge fan of the hard beds, but just figured it was part of the culture and norms of the area so I just go with it.

nottingham
Level Contributor
41 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: hard beds at Riu

hi, garrypawson, so you going to costa rica then , i have also been watching the reviews on the riuand thought of cancelling , but yes the reviews are better we are going first two weeks in december. tommo

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,520 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: hard beds at Riu

I always take the TripAdvisor reviews with a grain of salt unless there are huge problems being reported. Some people will find any small reason to criticize and say that their vacation was ruined or vent. Some people are hard to please or have high expectations. Some people want to post very positive things or very negative things because they have some relationship with a resort. Some people will have a problem, but choose not to report it to the resort - then come home and give a bad review. I've personally seen all of these situations, so I look for trends. The Riu is a good resort, better than average, so why let a few bad reviews distract you from what could turn out to be an awesome vacation.

wigan uk
Level Contributor
718 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: hard beds at Riu

Tommo - yes we are going - and we are going to enjoy it - just trying to arrange a couple of trips now. I will wait for your review!!!

bk - thank you for that - I agree totally.

As a couple we do not have very high expectations really - we are not posh - we just like to enjoy - and we are living for today.

Get answers to your questions about Santa Cruz
Recent Conversations