We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Additional Info... Dengue Fever and Santa Cruz?

Which Santa Cruz hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Florida
Level Contributor
21 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Additional Info... Dengue Fever and Santa Cruz?

I know this is a topic discussed in previous forums, but I was hoping to get an update. I am not an alarmist, but bringing my 4 year old to the JW Marriott in the town reporting the most cases (from what I understand) of Degue Fever does have me concerned. If anyone has any info on this, I would love to hear it. Thank you!!

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Additional Info... Dengue Fever and Santa Cruz?

I don't think Santa Cruz is reporting the most cases of dengue - where did you hear or read this? Not only that, but the JW Marriott is not in the town of Santa Cruz. Municipalities in Costa Rica have large boundaries so something may say, "Santa Cruz" but it may be 20 miles from the center of town. Likewise, there may be an outbreak somewhere near Santa Cruz but not in the center of town. I have really not kept up with this - do you have a website you are looking at?

Check the JW Marriott website and get a map to see where it is regards Santa Cruz.

You will need to check with your pediatrician to see what is the recommended insect repellent for your child and then use it faithfully.

This is a bad year for mosquitoes (well, good for them, I guess) and I have had to change some of my habits since they are pretty thick where I live. I am not sure why there are more mosquitoes this year - perhaps it is just their cycle or perhaps it has something to do with this year's weather pattern.

Florida
Level Contributor
21 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Additional Info... Dengue Fever and Santa Cruz?

I read there has been an outbreak of Dengue Fever in Santa Cruz in these forums. I have been reading so much lately, this was just something that caught my attention.

I so appreciate all the information you gave me. I will bring insect repellent and be careful.. When I was in Manuel Antonio not too long ago, I didn't see one mosquito, so I wasn't that worried initially. I guess the northern coast is different, or I just got lucky. Anyway, thanks again for your input, I appreciate your time.

Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
1,781 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Additional Info... Dengue Fever and Santa Cruz?

Just for the sake of accuracy... While the JW Marriott is in the Santa Cruz District, it is not near the town that had the outbreak, Santa Cruz.. It is many miles away in a very large, luxury development called Hacienda Pinilla where they are very careful about preventing dengue. While not impossible to get it at the JW Marriott, the odds are slim.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,225 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Additional Info... Dengue Fever and Santa Cruz?

Surfsponge is 100% correct...and let me add more cases of dengue in New York and Florida than in Costa Rica!

roadadvisor

Florida
Level Contributor
21 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Additional Info... Dengue Fever and Santa Cruz?

Great information! I am so happy I posted here, and thank you to all. And, yes, here in Florida the mosquitoes are MUCH worse than the last time I was in Costa Rica...

I will not fret about it, just pack repellent...in case we need it.

We are really excited for our vaction...wish we were leaving tomorrow!

Edited: 12 July 2010, 23:09
Kansas
Level Contributor
162 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Additional Info... Dengue Fever and Santa Cruz?

We stayed at the JW Marriott in early July and I would not be concerned about Dengue there. It is a fabulous resort and unless you leave there to take trips into the forest, you shouldn't encounter any mosquitos. We encountered mosquitos on the opposite coast in Tortuguero but none at the Marriott. We even did a hanging bridge 2 mile hike in the cloud forest before we went to the Marriott and did not get mosquito bites there either. We have more mosquitos in KS than Costa Rica (except in Tortuguero)

Have a great time.

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Additional Info... Dengue Fever and Santa Cruz?

Correct CDC info on Dengue in CR below...

You will be going to a risk area

but use insect precautions and www.cutteradvanced.com

go in dry season when not epidemic you should be fine...

Outbreaks of dengue fever have been reported annually from Costa Rica since 1993. A total of 7324 cases were reported nationwide for the first half of 2010, almost four times the number for the same period in 2009. For the year 2007, more than 26,000 cases and eight deaths were recorded, mainly from the provinces of Guanacaste and Puntarenas, both on the Pacific coast, and the province of Limon on the Caribbean coast. A major dengue outbreak was reported in the summer of 2005, resulting in more than 30,000 cases by late October, chiefly from the central Pacific area and the Atlantic coast. Several cases were identified in American travelers. The outbreak was related to heavy rainfalls, which led to an increase in the mosquito population. Another major outbreak occurred in 2003, when 19,700 people were affected.

www.mdtravelhealth.com CR

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Additional Info... Dengue Fever and Santa Cruz?

Most of what qwovadis posted is old information. Yes, there has been a big increase in the number of dengue cases this year - mostly in the lowlands and coastal areas. The government is working hard to remove as many sources of mosquito breeding areas as possible but in the wetter areas - such as Tortuguero - it is almost impossible to do.

Really the only defense is to use mosquito repellent. Use whatever works for you. Not necessary to use DEET'; products with citronella or things like Skin so Soft also work. The important thing is to use it faithfully.

Hastings, United...
Level Contributor
535 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Additional Info... Dengue Fever and Santa Cruz?

Costa Rica is not the only place to have a mossie plague this year. I have just returned from Croatia. I spent 1 week in a 5* hotel in Split which wasn't too bad 'cos of A/C but the last week I was in a small 'hotel' in Vela Luka, on the island of Korcula and there was no A/C so I had to leave balcony doors open in order to breath at night. I was attacked by every mossie on the island I think. On Croatia forum someone said that they have been having a bad year as well. Maybe it is the global 'Year of the Mosquito'!

10. Re: Additional Info... Dengue Fever and Santa Cruz?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 February 2011, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Santa Cruz
Recent Conversations