We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling to Costa Rica in a wheelchair

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
4 posts
41 reviews
Traveling to Costa Rica in a wheelchair

We are planning a visit to Costa Rica and my son is in a wheelchair. Although I know there is no ADA in CR, would anyone have any advice for us? Hotels, getting around, things to do etc. Thank you

12 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
73 posts
15 reviews
1. Re: Traveling to Costa Rica in a wheelchair

I will be watching this post and hope you get some responses as I have been wondering the same thing! I have come across "accessible journeys" but not been able to be in touch. There are several hotels in the Arenal area who claim to be handicapped accessible. Manuel Antonio seems to be a difficult location because of the topography, but Hotel San Bada seems to be a potentially good place to stay as it is flat. I do not think the park itself will be doable, but Carara National Park seems to be accessible.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
23,109 posts
110 reviews
2. Re: Traveling to Costa Rica in a wheelchair

We just teturned from 12 days , 7 in Flamingo beach and 5 in Tamarindo .

Getting around in a wheelchair will not be easy . We saw one wheelchair entire time we were there and that was at our beautiful resort hotel ( Diria Hotel Tamarindo ) . We saw one elderly lady using a walker in Flamingo beach . Family had to assist men's times however .

Tamarindo has many rough sidewalks , step up curbs , potholes . Fine for walkers but not for wheelchairs !

However our hotel had a beautiful family area ( across fro beach not beach side ) and the landscaping was amazing !nice wide smooth paved paths , zero entry family pool . No elecator but request ground floor and you would be fine .

We saw monkeys in the trees around the hotel several times !!

You can cross to beach side ( an actual cross walk there and that is a rarity !!!!) and there is a nice grassy area in front of beach that is wheelchair friendly . Ramp from breakfast area to outdoor bar and lunch area .

Familingo beach is not wheelchair friendly . No side walks in most areas . No shoulder in streets

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
4 posts
41 reviews
3. Re: Traveling to Costa Rica in a wheelchair

Thank you so much for this information, I sure appreciate any insight that you have, it will help!

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
3,671 posts
30 reviews
4. Re: Traveling to Costa Rica in a wheelchair

sad to say, but what joan describes is prevalent in costa rica - uneven sidewalks with lots of steps and where there are no sidewalks, the road or the sidewalk itself is gravel. many businesses are by law wheelchair accessible but that requirement sadly doesn't seem to extend to public areas. something like this would be very useful in costa rica.

https:/…all-terrain-wheelchair.html

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
50,870 posts
41 reviews
5. Re: Traveling to Costa Rica in a wheelchair

Agree with others...but one great place to visit for you guys...CARARA National APrk...great park with some great wild life and some of the trails are designed for handicap people like your son..

roadadvisor

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
4 posts
41 reviews
6. Re: Traveling to Costa Rica in a wheelchair

Thank you so much for this information it sure helps a lot!!!

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
7,406 posts
149 reviews
7. Re: Traveling to Costa Rica in a wheelchair

In addition to Carara, probably a good idea to consider boat tours as well--though obviously unclear how he would feel about the process of getting in/out of the boat with assistance. But, in general, provides a good chance to see wildlife without having to hike--monkeys, crocodiles, all kinds of birds, etc can be seen from boats in numerous places.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
50,870 posts
41 reviews
8. Re: Traveling to Costa Rica in a wheelchair

Enough taxi and tour companies offer vehicles to lift wheel chairs...and they also offer the straps to attach the chair to the vehicle...

roadadvisor

Level Contributor
73 posts
15 reviews
9. Re: Traveling to Costa Rica in a wheelchair

See my post earlier today on a new accessible trail in Manuel Antonio !

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
50,870 posts
41 reviews
10. Re: Traveling to Costa Rica in a wheelchair

They just open some new trails at MA...to bad I did not make it to the inaguration...I was invited by MINAE...

roadadvisor

Reply to: Traveling to Costa Rica in a wheelchair
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Tamarindo