We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

update on Tamarindo water? Blue flag?

Minnesota, USA
6 posts
Save Topic
update on Tamarindo water? Blue flag?

What is the latest on the water near Tamarindo? I haven't seen any update about the Dec. 3rd testing, does anyone know the results?

What about the blue flag status? Is it back or still revoked?

My wife and I are are going to Tamarindo next week and I'm concerning that no updates have been given.

Tamarindo
Level Contributor
533 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: update on Tamarindo water? Blue flag?

The water is perfectly fine, and has been since September. Yes, in August, after ridiculously heavy rains, a higher than usual amount of bacteria found its way into the ocean. Tests were done by the local Surfrider Foundation chapter in November, and every single test came up with levels well below numbers considered safe. As far as the Blue Flag status, they removed it nearly four months after the water was tested, so I would expect the same kind of delay in returning it, if they ever do. The Blue Flag status is really meaningless anyway; it has no affiliation with government or any health department, and they pick and choose which beaches they want to be affiliated. Thanks to the tabloid media, they decided they didn't want to be associated with Tamarindo.

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
1,149 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: update on Tamarindo water? Blue flag?

The blue flag is still revoked and the health dept has not published the results of the most recent results yet. A poster on fodors just returned from the area and said they were glad to leave after a night. Be interested in hearing your thoughts after returning.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
948 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: update on Tamarindo water? Blue flag?

I was there last month. No smell, water retesting clean. Regarding negative postings about Tamarindo, this area is much more developed than, say, Playa Hermosa or Playas del Coco (actually, anywhere except perhaps Jaco). If you've been to Mexico and want a comparison, Tamarindo is about half the size of Plaza Azul, much smaller than Huatalco Bay or Zijuantanejo or Ixtapa. You can't even think of Tam in the same league as Puerto Vallarta (maybe it is 1/10 the size? smaller probably) or Cancun (1/20 the size?).

For smaller, unspoiled beach town, with still nice beaches, go to Dominical.

Minnesota, USA
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: update on Tamarindo water? Blue flag?

rmaria, how do you know the water retesting was clean? Was this posted online or in the news anywhere?

Tamarindo
11 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: update on Tamarindo water? Blue flag?

The Blue Flag was revoked based on water quality and remains revoked. The most recent testing came back and although it was far better than in the rainy season, still has to get better (see the article posted elsewhere in Tripadvisor).

One of the real problems with accuracy of information is that nervous business owners try to confuse the issue with denials. There were actually some hotels and surf schools that would not warn their clients of the pollution, even in the rainy season! And for reference, the worst readings from Tamarindo beach were about 7,500 times what is considered unsafe in the U.S.

To date, no permanent solution has been agreed upon (ie. sewage treatment plant), although many of us are working towards that goal.

6. Re: update on Tamarindo water? Blue flag?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2009, 03:19