We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Calling from Costa Rica to the United States

Minnesota
Level Contributor
107 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Calling from Costa Rica to the United States

I've searched the Costa Rica forums but haven't found a great answer on this yet: what is the best way to call from Costa Rica to the United States once we are in Tamarindo? Our cell phone company does not provide service there, so I am wondering if I should purchase some sort of calling card once we arrive at the Liberia airport, or are there reasonable places (cafe, etc) that we can use to call home while we are on our trip? Thanks in advance.

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,309 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Calling from Costa Rica to the United States

You can buy the local Viajera 199 long distance cards at many pharmacies, stores, kiosks etc. It will cost you about 30 cents per minute to call US and you can do it from pretty well any phone. Some internet cafes do have Skype of other VOIP.

Do not use the blue phones that have all kinds of credit card symbols that you may find in hotels and other public places. They are very very expensive - a true rip off.

raquel

Tamarindo
Level Contributor
533 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Calling from Costa Rica to the United States

Agreed. Don't use the phone in your hotel room either, its a big ripoff. You can use the internet cafes that have telephones, its a ripoff too because they are charged very little, but it costs you the same amount as the phone card, so the convenience and the luxary of sitting in a quiet internet cafe makes it worthwhile.

Davisburg, Michigan
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Calling from Costa Rica to the United States

From first hand experience I can tell you not to use the credit card phones in the lobbies of many hotels. I did this the last time (2006) I was in Costa Rica. I spent perhaps 5-10 minutes on the phone. The bill was over $60 on my credit card. The same trip I had to call my credit card company because my card was denied (always let them know if you are leaving the country). The room charges for the phone call (an 800 number) were $20+.

On the brighter side, I'm leaving for Costa Rica in 14 hours! To leave the cold behind for 10 days will be great.

4. Re: Calling from Costa Rica to the United States

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 February 2008, 12:48
Havana, Cuba
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Calling from Costa Rica to the United States

Even if your cell phone did work you get clobbered by the rates. The best bet is to find an internet cafe and use their VOIP. Some of the smaller towns do not have the band width to allow for a good signal so try to use the internet Cafes in the larger towns.

DO NOT use the phone in your hotel room.

Bonaire
Destination Expert
for Bonaire
Level Contributor
2,491 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Calling from Costa Rica to the United States

I agree with the other posters. Do not use the phones in the hotel lobbies or your room phone (if you have one). The rates will likely be sky-high. There is an internet cafe in downtown Tamarindo where we make calls to the US. The owner will give you the cordless phone and then you pay him when you are finished. The price is very reasonable. Unfortunately, I can not recall the name of the cafe. It is in a shopping center on the main street in downtown Tamarindo on the opposite side from the beach. The shop is a combination tour operator/internet cafe. The owner is from the states and he is very nice. I hope this helps.

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,309 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Calling from Costa Rica to the United States

And definitely do not use those blue phones with all sorts of credit card symbols on them - the ones that invite you to call home to USA or Canada.... They are really expensive.

raquel

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
127 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Calling from Costa Rica to the United States

I lived in Costa Rica for 3 months. If you are taking a laptop Skype is the way to go. For a couple dollars a month you get unlimited calls and a U.S. phone number for people to call you. That is also your best route for internet cafes.

Also, check out Nogui’s Café on the ocean for breakfast! I miss that place.

9. Re: Calling from Costa Rica to the United States

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2009, 19:17