We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

El Diria Hotel strikes again....

Which Tamarindo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tamarindo
Level Contributor
533 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
El Diria Hotel strikes again....

After years of causing significant environmental damage from their developments, spewing black sewage water onto Tamarindo beach, completely encroaching on the 50 metre tide line, and exploiting tourists, locals, and their employees, the Diria Hotel is now targeting local tour offices.

They are handing out pamphlets all over town warning people not to book through any tour agents but their own. They recommend "extreme caution" when booking tours from "outside the hotel". It goes on to accuse the local tour agents of being in the "black market" and "stealing credit card numbers and cash from tourists. The last line is classic "please be careful that you are not being taken advantage of". Haha, talk about painting the kettle black.

The Diria has a reputation of over charging for the tours they sell and even bullying local tour companies. I know of one boat company who will not do business with them because they demanded to receive a bigger commission than all the other tour agents.

I have asked around town about these "black market" tour agents, and have not heard any reports about anyone being ripped off. I suppose its possible that some crooked individuals are walking around town posing as tour agents, but this pamphlet clearly accuses every local tour business as well. This is obvious propoganda by the Diria to scare people into booking tours with them. I for one am now officially boycotting the Diria Hotel and all of its subsideraries. They are a bunch of bullies who care not whom or what they hurt, and its people like this that have caused the bad press Tamarindo has received in the past.

Manuel Antonio...
Level Contributor
1,298 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: El Diria Hotel strikes again....

Excellent Puramar.

This overcontrolling by some hotels of their clients is killing Costa Rica tourist industry. Most big hotels will only work with those companys who will paid them the more money, they dont even care about the tour quality or their clients needs. Overpricing of tours by hotels is very commom and the onces paiding for this are the tourist. I always said, if you are been offer a good service and you feel good about buying it, is you money, dont go tru the hotels, You can always find better serivice by searching on your own. TA is the best way to look for good tours operations. NATUREGUIDE

Playa Hermosa...
Level Contributor
867 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: El Diria Hotel strikes again....

This type of "scare tactics" have been happening for years by many of the large hotels that have the National Tour companies on site. After all they are collecting up to 25% commissions from their on site tour operators and that can amount to a great deal of money. SOME of these tour operators will scare tourists at the hotels claiming tour operators outside the hotel are operating illegally and without insurance. When threatened with law suits they quickly back down.

I am sure there are still some operating without being insured & licensed but the government is monitoring the tour industry much closer now.

Tamarindo
Level Contributor
533 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: El Diria Hotel strikes again....

Since I started this thread, I've been doing a bit of research and have found a couple interesting pieces of information about the Diria:

1) That they not only force most of their tour companies to give them a larger commission, but they also inflate the prices of the tours. This means, for instance, that you are paying $80-$85 for a tour that you can get for $75 at every other tour agent in town. So who is actually ripping off the tourists? It should also be noted that they don't pay their employees any more despite the added revenue.

2) That their smear campaign against local businesses is not being held exclusively to tour agents. They are telling their hotel guest upon check-in that they shouldn't eat at any restaurants other that the hotel because they will get food poisoning. They also warn people not to walk around town because their children will get raped. Both these claims are totally false. There has been little or no violent crimes reported in Tamarindo. Yes, there can be petty crimes like car break ins and things stolen off the beach (often right in front of the Diria), but to scare people this way is totally unethical. Also, I've never heard of bad food at any of Tamarindo's great restaurants. However, I'm sure they are NOT telling their guests that their section of the beach is the most polluted because of sewage run-off from their hotel. Or that there was a drowning last year in front of their hotel. Or that they are the most over priced, overrated hotel in Tamarindo. Or that they are an illegal structure because they are encroaching on the 50 metre tide line. Or that because of all their developments around the area, there are significantly less monkeys, turtles, iguanas, birds, armadillos, etc etc etc.

I don't like bashing businesses on here, but these actions are both unethical and quite frankly, criminal.

Tamarindo
Level Contributor
533 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: El Diria Hotel strikes again....

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to do this, but I was looking at customer reviews of the Diria and came across the following post. It amuses me that the Diria is accusing other businesses in town of making fradulent charges on people's credit cards, yet it seems that they are the ones doing it:

"However, I did receive three fraudulent charges on my credit card that could have only come from poor security control of sensitive information at the hotel. The room was prepaid so no credit card was necessary. However, I allowed the hotel to swipe a card that was unused for the entire Costa Rica trip. This was to allow me to charge a few drinks at the bar and charge it to my room. When I checked out, I paid for the drinks with a different credit card and took back the paper charge ticket that had been swiped and tore it into many pieces and deposited the pieces in two different garbage cans.

When I returned, I had three charges for calls made from Costa Rica, one on a day that I was not even in the country. The amounts were for 41.91, 41.94, and 41.89. The reference number was 800-606-0486. Other people have had issues with this number. Mind you, I made no credit card calls from CR and had not used the charged call at all during the trip.

My conclusion is that my credit card number was able to be seen by employees or other persons and then used in conjunction with the owner of the 800 number above to make fraudulent claims. Tamarindo Diria - improve your security measures!"

5. Re: El Diria Hotel strikes again....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2009, 09:35