We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's the crime really like around Costa Rica?

Boothwyn, PA
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
What's the crime really like around Costa Rica?

We are trying to decide between Spain (Andalucia/Barcelona) and Costa Rica for vacation. I know you need to be careful everywhere, but I don't want it to be worrisome.

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
6,457 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What's the crime really like around Costa Rica?

There's petty crime in both places. They are vastly different places--I would make the decision based on what you want out of the experience--ecotourism/nature vs. architecture/history/urban experience.

Manuel Antonio...
Level Contributor
1,298 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What's the crime really like around Costa Rica?

Crime is the country is diferent of each place. Places like Manuel Antonio, Arenal, Papagayo, Osa, Sarapiqui and others are considerably very save. San Jose is a place where you have to be carefull.

Travelling in the country is like travelling like anywhere in the world just be carefull with your personal bags and dont go to places at night the you dont know. NATUREGUIDE

Mentioned in this post
Manuel Antonio
Manuel Antonio
Province of Puntarenas, Costa Rica
Arenal Lodge
Arenal Lodge
901 Reviews
La Fortuna de San Carlos, Costa Rica
Osa Peninsula
Osa Peninsula
Province of Puntarenas, Costa Rica
San Jose
San Jose
San Jose Metro, Costa Rica
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,327 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What's the crime really like around Costa Rica?

Discussions of crime are against TA forum guidelines. Go to a different forum if you are interested in this topic.

Tamarindo
Level Contributor
533 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What's the crime really like around Costa Rica?

I wouldn't let crime be any kind of a deciding factor. Its like trying to decide between eating an apple or a peach and asking which one is least likely to have exposure to pesticide. Either decision you make is a good one. However, if you decide to go to Europe, the Provence region of France makes a much better holiday than Spain (just a recommendation).

New York
Level Contributor
111 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: What's the crime really like around Costa Rica?

If you were traveling to say Disney Land wouldn't you want to know the crime rate for your kids there? I would. Why would it be against the law of physics (sarcasm) to talk about something that would pertain to my or anyone's travel plans?? Btw, my parents always warn me whenever I go to San Jose. My watch this, my chain that. Of course where ever you go you must think and not flash anything in a different country/city. I've been to Barcelona before and didn't think about crime until after the fact. Basically I forgot. But one of the places that I 'bunked' for 2 nights, the host warned me about safety. Not to be afraid but take precautions of course. I didn't say "Hey, hold on one second you. That's against my travel rules to tell me to take safety precautions. Now go get a timeout". Get a grip I'm being comical. But I did like Barcelona. As well as my lovely country Costa Rica. Peace out.

Mentioned in this post
San Jose
San Jose
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
New York
Level Contributor
111 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What's the crime really like around Costa Rica?

That post was more about the questioning of 'crime questioning' by whats his name. Anyway, good luck Vealnicky and enjoy your vacation where ever you decide to go. Be safe. ;)

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
40 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What's the crime really like around Costa Rica?

Hello...I've been to both Barcelona/Girona and Costa Rica (just got back about 10 days ago). I agree, first you have to decide what you want for yourself, because they are TOTALLY different vacations. I love spain, absolutely adore it! It is however, a bit more exspensive and upscale. Costa rica, to me, is more about adventure and nature. For our 9 days in Costa Rica we did everything as local as possible (public busses, cheaper hotels, local restaurants...) and we even spent the night in San Jose downtown and went out dancing. We never had any problems. We were also smart about how we did things (not a lot of flashy jewlery, no flashing money around, always looked like we know where we're going even when we don't, and only packing things we didn't mind losing....) We did see other people who were robbed, though. I feel like petty crime may be more of a problem in costa rica than spain, but, crime happens everywhere.

If you have any questions feel free to write me.

Have fun, wherever you end up!

Alissa

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
San Jose
San Jose
8. Re: What's the crime really like around Costa Rica?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2009, 04:17