We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Langosta - Taxi? Condo? Beach?

Which Tamarindo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Michigan
Level Contributor
15 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Langosta - Taxi? Condo? Beach?

Hi all,

We've been to Tamarindo a few times for dinner and are somewhat familiar with the town. We're struggling to decide between staying directly in Tamarindo or in the Langosta beach area. I know each has it's advantages/disadvantages, so I have a few specific questions that will help us decide.

1) Is it easy to get a local taxi to go FROM Langosta over TO Tamarindo? (Yes, I know it's just 1.5 miles!)

2) Is Langosta Beach itself that much nicer than Tamarindo Beach?

3) In general, are the condo properties far more upscale in Langosta? Here's the impression I'm getting: Villas Langosta=OK,La Esquina=Nicer,Courtyard Villas=Best.

Any recommendation is appreciated.

Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
1,781 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Langosta - Taxi? Condo? Beach?

I have lived in Langosta for over 10 years without a car, but have an ATV.

Usually you can find a taxi in front of the Barcelo Hotel, but not always, especially around dinner time. If you go to the reception desk at the Barcelo or any hotel in Langosta, they'll order one for you.

I just have a list of emergency taxi phone numbers I collect for when my lady is wearing a dress or its raining.

The condos and the area in general for Langosta are generally nicer than Tamarindo, and I agree with your impressions.

Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
163 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Langosta - Taxi? Condo? Beach?

1) Very easy to get a taxi. Call Paul at PDQ taxi (a legal one) at 2653-2439 or 8918-3710. He also does airport transfers at a reasonable price.

2) Tamarindo is nicer for walking and less rocky spot for swimming. and Tamarindo is better for surfing.

3) Yes, Langosta is generally more upscale and a more quiet environment. The Courtyard Villas are the best option of the 3 you mention. #2 would be the Esquina Condos.

Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
163 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Langosta - Taxi? Condo? Beach?

oops. Forgot an option. The condos at Horizontes del Mar are very nice and right on the beachfront.

Michigan
Level Contributor
15 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Langosta - Taxi? Condo? Beach?

Thanks for the feedback. This makes me a little more comfortable with Langosta from a location point of view. Since things seem to be a little slow, we are planning on choosing a place after we arrive around Dec 5th. Should be able to get a great deal as there are bound to be vacancies. We're going to be around for Christmas week and people want x2 for that week. That may change if things stay slooooow. Anyway, thanks again!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,099 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Langosta - Taxi? Condo? Beach?

It is easy to find a nice ride...Langosta beach is nice...very much as Tamarindo!

Tamarindo is not small anymore...hard to compare the whole area with Langosta...

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in PARADISE!

Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
163 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Langosta - Taxi? Condo? Beach?

SoManyPlaces2C:

I would not take the chance on Christmas week....

Prior to the 18th you can get great prices but then things start filling up around the 18th of December. You may still get a decent deal IF things stay slow but if not; then you may be stuck with a place that's way above or below what you wanted to pay.

Perhaps someone out there in the hotel industry can shed some light on the current state of xmas reservations.

Bonaire
Destination Expert
for Bonaire
Level Contributor
2,476 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Langosta - Taxi? Condo? Beach?

I much prefer to stay in Langosta over Tamarindo. The beach is so much more tranquil and peaceful and notably less crowded. I like is so much I got married there.

Langosta is typically considered an upscale area, and many of the homes and condo properties are gorgeous. There are also a few wonderful B&Bs on the beach - Sueno del Mar and Villa Alegre. Are you looking to stay directly on the beach or are you open to staying across the street from the beach?

During the day, I prefer to walk to Tamarindo from Langosta on the beach side (a little rocky but fun). You can also rent a bike for transportation. We always rent a car and drive ourselves around in the evenings.

Michigan
Level Contributor
15 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Langosta - Taxi? Condo? Beach?

Thanks for the added info. Comments on specific replies:

Re: Christmas - We'll just have to see what comes available. There are property management sites that I check periodically to make sure everything isn't filling up. Worst case - this trip is good research for future visits.

Re: Rental Car - That would be ideal but as we're in CR for nearly a month I don't want the added expense. There doesn't seem to be any significant discount for a multi week rental on cars.

Re: Location - Directly on the beach is always best but we'd be happy across the street. Again, a bit of recon will go a long when when we arrive.

Tamarindo
Level Contributor
95 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Langosta - Taxi? Condo? Beach?

Langosta Beach is more scenic and less crowded. You have more volcanic rock formations. The area is more residential and no clubs or bars around. A few nice restaurants. Casa Quetzalcoatl is a great option in Langosta...

10. Re: Langosta - Taxi? Condo? Beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2010, 05:17