We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Deep Sea Fishing

Port Perry, Ontario
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Deep Sea Fishing

Hubby and I are planning a trip to Barcelo Playa Langosta for two weeks March 1st and would like to know if there are any local panga operators willing to take us deep sea fishing. Ideally, we'd like to go after sail or marlin on the ocean, and maybe do a second trip inshore for rooster fish. We have caught sail and rooster fish in CR before and know what to expect.

Thanks for your help!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,813 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Deep Sea Fishing

If you find a good ¨panga¨fisherman let us know...most of the time small pangas are not good for deep sea fishing....but really who knows!

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in PARADISE!

Port Perry, Ontario
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Deep Sea Fishing

Believe it or not, on our first trip to CR, we flew into San Jose and stayed at a small resort that, at the time, was a Barcelo. We got a referral from the guy at the bar for a friend of his with a panga. I think it was a 22-footer, and there were just the 3 of us (captain, hubby and me). Hubby hooked a 120 lb. sail and our captain had to back the boat up to gain any ground on the fish, but we eventually landed it, which is the important part. 20 minutes later, hubby hooked a second one! Same routine. But by the time he landed the second one, his arms were mush, and I sure wasn't going to tackle one of those babies, so we headed for shore... and we still talk about that experience 7 years later! So it can be done...

3. Re: Deep Sea Fishing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 12 January 2010, 04:46
Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
1,781 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Deep Sea Fishing

Recently read a review from a mad, and I think still shaken sportfisherman who went deep sea fishing on a medium-sized sportfishing boat and wanted his money back. He felt the captain should have known better than to sail the smaller boat out so far during high-winds and seas. He felt his lack of judgement put his life in danger, and he was mad!

I think the rule is the bigger boats take you out about 26 miles and the half-day smaller boats 13 miles. The temptation is to save money and take the smaller boat out further, but don't do it.

Pangas are even smaller, and I have had a local fisherman take me 300 yards out to fish just in the Tamarindo Bay. Caught dinner! I wouldn't have anyone take them any further in a Panga, even if the fisherman assured me it was OK.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,813 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Deep Sea Fishing

FishingRocks...I love your ¨fishing tale¨is somenthing else...I hope you find another good panga and some calm waters to have another great day of fishing!

And to finish...I believe you...I have no reason not to do so!

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in PARADISE!

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Deep Sea Fishing

Fishing in deep sea for sails in a panga

not a good idea many safety issues

and special gear required.

Better to have a quality experience with an approved operator.

Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
747 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Deep Sea Fishing

Panga fishing is NOT recommended this time of year. The winds are very strong and in the small boats you feel like you're in a washing machine.

When the winds are calmer a Panga can certainly do the job. Perhaps by March the winds will be calm enough. Pedro's Fishing is a local panga operator that speaks English.

Now the problem is the bigger boats are much more expensive. My recommendation since you're just two people is to get in touch with Xplore Costa Rica. www.xplorecostarica.com Give Denise a date that you'd like to go and she'll try to hook you up with another couple or two to share the expense of a larger boat.

8. Re: Deep Sea Fishing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 July 2010, 06:17