We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tamarindo area - sight seeing suggestions

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
32 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Tamarindo area - sight seeing suggestions

We will be in Tamarindo for a couple days. Any suggestions on places to visit (other than beaches, surfing.....) that won't be too long a drive and kids would like? Thank you.

Tamarindo
Level Contributor
190 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tamarindo area - sight seeing suggestions

Pretty much everything scenic within a short drive of Tamarindo is ocean related. Spongesurfer mentioned in another thread an animal rescue zoo where you can see a wide variety of creatures that aren't usually found in the Gold Coast region.

monkey-park.org/ingles/inginicio/index.html

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,427 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tamarindo area - sight seeing suggestions

Agree with four winds...

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in PARADISE!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
32 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tamarindo area - sight seeing suggestions

Thank you both FW and RA

Antigua, Guatemala
Level Contributor
2,958 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tamarindo area - sight seeing suggestions

Hi,

About 20 minutes inland is a Monkey refuge center! This would be amazing for kids!

Hope this helps,

Marina K. Villatoro

Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
344 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tamarindo area - sight seeing suggestions

Perhaps you can take an estuary boat trip, it's within 5 minutes drive to town... the monkey park near Cartagane would also be fun for the kids.. I also like a horseback riding trip trough the mountain with views to Conchal...

Try a local restaurant in Villareal... it's called Las Palmas, right by the soccer field... amazing Guanacaste food for cheap!

Hope this helps

Bonaire
Destination Expert
for Bonaire
Level Contributor
2,491 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tamarindo area - sight seeing suggestions

I would recommend a catamaran/sailing trip on Blue Dolphin. It's a beautiful sail, especially at sunset. We have spotted humpback whales and leatherback turtles mating (very interesting sight). If you enjoy snorkeling you can combine the snorkel/sunset sail.

guanacaste
Level Contributor
3,091 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tamarindo area - sight seeing suggestions

Rincon de la Vieja, for waterfalls, volcanic activity, adventures tours, is about 1 and 1/2 hours from your area.

The feline rescue center about the same driving time driving towards cañas,

Palo verde, for birds and crocodiles.

Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
747 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tamarindo area - sight seeing suggestions

Palo Verde would be a great one for kids or anyone.

Monkeys, Birds and Crocodiles, It's a covered 2-hour riverboat cruise on the Tempisque River bordering the Palo Verde National Park, which protects over 33,000 acres and is known for its ecological diversity, preserving wetlands and providing a refuge for a myriad of wildlife. Over 300 bird species have been recorded. Be on the lookout and ready to shoot that one-of-a-kind Kodak moment. We regularly see howler monkeys, crocodiles, huge iguanas, white faced monkeys and a myriad of herons, storks, kingfishers etc. After the river cruise you'll enjoy a traditional family style Costa Rican lunch.

www.xplorecostarica.com/Tours/Palo-Verde.html

Another idea might even be Africa Mia. I haven't been myself yet but I've heard it's very nice.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
32 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tamarindo area - sight seeing suggestions

Muchas Gracias, Marina, L4T, JB, XpL

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
32 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tamarindo area - sight seeing suggestions

Since I will have a 4x4, will it be possible to drive the Palo verde just for the boat ride? I like to have the flexibility as we have 2 young kids with us!!