We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Excursions- Tamarindo Trip Report Part 3

Which Tamarindo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Maple Ridge, Canada
Level Contributor
550 posts
Save Topic
Excursions- Tamarindo Trip Report Part 3

The Excursions

Picking up the pace we first booked a catamaran tour with Blue Dolphin thru Suzy at the resort. Originally we wanted to go on Sunday but the boat was booked for a private party. We settled on the Saturday and it was a perfect choice.

The day was hot and sunny and we had all gathered at the shore awaiting the tender to bring us to the ship. We were the last to board and there was about 30 of us in total. The captain and crew were friendly and funny and the refreshments were flowing. A few snacks were also set out. We sailed past the other catamaran Marlin Del Ray which seemed to have more people per foot on board. Was very happy with our choice of the Blue Dolphin.

The winds picked up which meant we didnt get out as far as they would normally go, so they anchored and offered us use of the kayaks or snorkle gear. We had brought our own and altho not expecting great snorkeling we were somewhat disappointed with only seeing 7 fish including the 2 that their diver went down for.. oh well it was fun getting out in the water and we had a great time mingling with our fellow passengers and formed some fast friendships along the way. A great sunset upon our return which was a beautiful ending to a perfect day.

Our second tour was the gauchpelin all day adventure. Let me first say that my experience was not the same as my husbands and altho different we were both glad we did it ...Me because I wasnt ever going to try that again :) lol

We booked this tour in town with x-plore. Gus booked our tour and he was going to be our guide for the day. He was just awesome and I will explain more on that later but I want everyone to know that x-plore and Gus were the best decision we made as far as excursions go.

The tour started with us upon arrival signing waivers and getting helmets for our first segment of horseback riding. Roughly an hour long ride with guides to keep the horses in line and on more than one occasion rescuing someone from going off trail. My horse was definately not used to being behind and tried to take the lead against my better judgement a few times. I think my problem began with the stirrups not in the best position for me. Didnt allow me to properly lift myself out of the saddle. I was so focused on staying in line that I ignored the pain I was feeling on my backside. And no Im not a professional rider lol

We got to our next part of this tour tubing. Again signed some waivers and had a lesson in how to tube. These are rather large tubes which you had to carry down a steep terrain to the river. It was a difficult task going both up and down that terrain with those tubes and a few of us barely made it.

Once at the river we quickly realized that this was no "lazy river" tubing but more like white water rafting in a tube. Ok Im ready !! Yee Haw I jump in ! Well the rapids can spin you around and the tubes act like bumper cars bouncing off the boulders in the river. It was exhilerating and the water was cold. Not bad on a hot day. Thats also when I felt a burning sensation which I first thought was due to the cold water..ouch ! At one point thru the rapids I was turned around and heading backwards. I had caught the attention of one of the guides who looked at me and tapped his helmet. I wasnt sure what he meant asI thought "yeah Im wearing my helmet" until my head and helmet bounced off the back of a rock..Thankgod for the helmet ! They also suggest keeping your legs stretched out for better balance but after getting my toes mashed I tried to only keep them out when there was a clearing.

Our next stop was Lunch (thankyou god) lol The food was great and we left full and happy. I asked my husband to take a look at my backside and he let me know the cause of my discomfort..seems I somehow lost some skin and was bleeding a little. I got skinned horsebackriding....dont know how just know it hurt. This didnt help me much when it came to our final leg zipping.

Once again waivers sighned,helmets on we get fitted with our gear. As it turned out nothing like my previous experience in Hawaii. I felt my tether was too short which meant I needed lots of assistance getting on and off the line. The guides were good but didnt realize that by kneeing me in the backside to bounce me off the line caused me a great deal of pain. I came bck skinned and bruised purple after that excursion. My comfort level at an all time low...I was sore. The views and the ziplining were an experience. My husband rock climbed for the first time and was just amazed by the gorge we were in. Like I said different experiences. Personally at times I felt unsafe like when we stood on a box turned upright and a little wobbly on a platform high up. We were okay of course but during certain parts of that last leg I was exhausted. I also didnt want any part of the rock climbing. I escaped the big one and somehow managed through 2 smaller ones. I was very happy to finish the tour. My husband bought the video lol

We ended the day with a walk to the water falls. I barely made it ...lol My husband jumped in while I safely took the pictures and we got back to the van with out going to the hot springs or mud baths. Frankly it was just too hot of a day and everyone agreed a cool waterfall sounded much better.

I was glad we did it, and I was blown away by the views and the memories of my husband reliving his youth were "priceless". lol

For me I think there was just a little too much adventure for one adventure tour. I know others would consider this a plus and thats fine ,cause Im still recovering from my day as a survivor Costa Rica ..lol

We asked Suzy everyday for news about the turtles. Did anyone see any turtles? The last sighting was the night of our arrival. It was the same answer everyday up until the last night of our holiday. We had one chance to book the tour for our last night and hope to see them....it was our last night and I didnt want to risk those few hours I had left, so we didnt. Im sad I missed them, and I really hope to catch them another time.

There was just 24 hours left of our vacation...what to do ?

Next trip report.." The Last Day" to follow..

Thanks for taking the time to read these lengthy posts :)

Sue

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,269 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Excursions- Tamarindo Trip Report Part 3

Nice report Sue...really nice!

roadadvisor

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
14,931 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Excursions- Tamarindo Trip Report Part 3

sueinbarrie - I hope you got your t-shirt for the gauchpelin tour :-) .....you earned it. I'll bet you were exhausted at the end of the day.

Thanks for posting!

Goderich, Canada
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Excursions- Tamarindo Trip Report Part 3

Your tour sound awesome. We plan to go on the adventure, How long of a day was it, where did they pick you up and how much did it cost?. We leave in a week!! Very excited to go.

Bonaire
Destination Expert
for Bonaire
Level Contributor
2,480 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Excursions- Tamarindo Trip Report Part 3

Great report Sue!

Vancouver
Level Contributor
21 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Excursions- Tamarindo Trip Report Part 3

Thank you for the report. Now I know for sure the adventure tour will be too much for me!

Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
739 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Excursions- Tamarindo Trip Report Part 3

Thanks for the report Sue. I know I was a little tired at the end too but then I'm no longer 30 yrs old. LOL.

Donna, We have a confirmed Guachipelin trip on the 19th if you're here. We can go anytime though as Feb is a busy month and there will be others going regularly.

We depart around 7:00 am and get there by 9:00. The return is somewhat up to the group as to how much time they want to spend at the waterfall or hot springs; but usually we end up getting home around 6:00.

Cost is variable depending on the size of the group. The more we get the more I lower the price. For only 2 people it's $150 each but as I say, we rarely have just 2. On the 19th we already have 4 going.

info@xplorecostarica.com

Maple Ridge, Canada
Level Contributor
550 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Excursions- Tamarindo Trip Report Part 3

Thankyou Road advisor,luv4travel and Kansas I should of got the shirt ..lol but hubby wanted it all caught on film ..so we have the video. Speaking of the video, 2 seperate tours were going on at roughly the same time. When we played our video it was the other tour in the horseback segment and not ours. Im laughing picturing that other tour viewing our footage, I bet I looked happy ..lol The rest of the video was us and the added pictures of different Costa Rican things was a nice touch too.

Donna good luck !! Have a great time and I would want to book this one nearer to the end of your holiday, Im glad I did as I couldnt handle anymore physical activities after that.

Flamingo I hear ya there, stay tuned to my nxt post, might be something in it for you activity wise.

Gus ?? Is that you?? Yeah and Im not 45 either anymore...haha

You are the best !!

Pura Vida Everybody

Sue

Vancouver
Level Contributor
21 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Excursions- Tamarindo Trip Report Part 3

We will be at the Barcelo from March 18-March 30, 2 couples. We're thinking of doing a tour that includes seeing the volcano, hot springs & ziplining (I've been assured that I will be able to handle that part). Does Xplore offer this type of tour?

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
435 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Excursions- Tamarindo Trip Report Part 3

Thanks so much for sharing!

Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
739 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Excursions- Tamarindo Trip Report Part 3

Sue, Not Gus - Denise

I'm glad you enjoyed and survived Guachipelin!

Get answers to your questions about Tamarindo