We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riu Guanacaste under investigation

Tamarindo
Level Contributor
533 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Riu Guanacaste under investigation

After rumours of the new Riu Guanacaste's several environmental infractions, it seems the local government is going to find out for themselves.

http://www.amcostarica.com/morenews2.htm

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,147 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Riu Guanacaste under investigation

As well as many vagabonds and drunks that sell drugs in Tamarindo, I have been one of the ones to meet with local authorities to demand hard hand with foreigners working in our country without legal papers...no papers no permits to run business and make money here...please GO HOME!

Same situation with RIU, last week we meet with the locals and decided to take some action, one thing that call our attention is that most of the monkies around Matapalo were kill by the foreign workers that were working at the hotel... INCREDIBLE!

roadadvisor

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Riu Guanacaste under investigation

Apparently they cut down a mangrove forest

to improve their beach

a big environmental no no...

Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
344 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Riu Guanacaste under investigation

What does this discussion have to do with drugs in Tamarindo???

Edited: 01 April 2010, 21:12
New York
Level Contributor
111 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Riu Guanacaste under investigation

Wow, I was actually thinking about going to this particular place. I'll go to plan B which I originally felt better with since I've been there already and that's Paradissus Playa Conchal. Sad how CR is changing for the worse in some areas of the country.

Tamarindo
Level Contributor
533 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Riu Guanacaste under investigation

Road Advisor: Could you please clarify your statement? Are you against foreigners who come here to sell drugs, to work in restaurants, or to own/operate legitimate businesses?

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,147 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Riu Guanacaste under investigation

Thank you for asking but as a costarican as a father as a family men I´m really concern about foreign companies or foreign people that break the law in our country!

Of course I will do anything possible to get foreigners out of our country that are selling drugs...some foreigners are nice decent people...they can stay as long as they like...

And just to make clear...I do not have to clarify my statement to anybody...who ever break the law or sells drugs...we want them out of our country!

Lets go back to TRAVEL issues!

roadadvisor

Tamarindo
Level Contributor
533 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Riu Guanacaste under investigation

Ok, Road Advisor, I just wanted to be clear. I got the impression from your post that you were against foreigners owning and running businesses in Costa Rica but I understand now that you meant those that come here to steal and sell drugs. Thanks for the clarification.

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
8,059 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Riu Guanacaste under investigation

I hope they do crack down on the RIU. Its amazing how man can destroy in the blink of an eye something that may have stood for so long.

The moment in history when man started changing his immediate environment to suit his needs, instead of adapting, is the moment we were no longer in harmony with nature. Something we will never get back I am afraid. We are the only animal on the planet that is not in harmony with our surroundings. How short sighted, and selfish a species we all are.

My 2 cents,

Inca

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Riu Guanacaste under investigation

puramar - if you read roadadvisor's original post, you will see that he clearly says he is against foreigners working or doing business without proper papers or permits. Roadadvisor has never written anything against foreigners, in general, but has been informative and helpful to many people.

Sadly, the RIU situation has happened in many places - businesses that just bulldoze everything, including mangroves, seagrass and local officials. I hope that if there is a violation of the law, they are made an example for others. Unfortunately, there is always so much money connected to a project like this, that others will go ahead anyway and do what they want. I saw the same thing over and over in Florida.

There is a huge golf course planned for the northern Pacific area. Perhaps now is the time to get involved with this project rather than after the fact. It is advertised as "eco friendly" but I can't see how that is possible.

Thank you, roadadvisor, for taking time out of your busy schedule to get involved in the RIU situation.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Riu Guanacaste under investigation

PS The name of the new development is Guanacaste Country Club.