We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety

Alberta
Level Contributor
132 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Safety

we just booked a 10 holiday for next winter with 4 adults and 3 kids. After reading the last couple trip reports about theft and drug dealers I am a little concerned that we made a bad choice. Is there alot of crime there? Most posts on trip advisor say the place is awesome.

We rented a house, do we need to be overly cautious about security or having someone break in? I have been to Mexico many times and have never used more that common sense when out at night or leaving stuff in the room. Our friends have never been to the tropics, I'd really hate for them to have a bad experience.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety

Common sense trip insurance leave expensive electronics at home

Overall safe if careful...

Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
186 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety

Well common sense is what you need anywhere in this woeld, there is no place (and many other will say YES in my country never happens...) in the world that criminals wont use and abuse of people who are not carefull and cautios with its own things.

Not as radical as some other posts about Tamarindo, but you know S..can happens right.

If you are renting a house, ot probably has already a security sistem or guard.

Mostly is about having fun and be cautious like you would be in any place even near by your very own home...

Relax and let your selfs feel the Pura Vida life style.

laughinggecko-travel.com/TamarindoHomecenter…

This site has lots of good tips!

Mentioned in this post
Tamarindo
Tamarindo
Province of Guanacaste, Costa Rica
Pura Vida Hostel
Pura Vida Hostel
458 Reviews
Tamarindo, Costa Rica
Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
1,781 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety

Usually in the daytime and sometimes at night I walk the 1.5 kilometers from Langosta to Tamarindo. Once in town, I often see a few hookers without their costume and the usual drug dealers. I am not talking about a lot of either, but Tamarindo is a small, tourist town in Latin America, and there are always going to be a least a few.

I know who they area, and they know me. However, I don't patronize the hookers or buy drugs, so there is nothing to be said except maybe exchanging hellos. I really don't like them, but I have to live here and they are part of reality. For me, neither is dangerous.

Once I saw a tourist introduce his kid to one of our straggly, resident drug dealer. He said something like, 'This is a drug dealer, this is who I want you to avoid!' Judging from the expression on the kid's face, I think he had a deeper understanding of the subject. Damaged the kid, or gave him some real life useful info??

So, don't flash around money, wear expensive watches, or tempt them by leaving a bag or something unattended, even for a second. The main crime danger is when someone does business with them! It can start a chain of events... none of them good.

While I am a fan of renting houses and villas, good security is a little different than a condo or apartment. You should have a guard. Don't even tempt thieves by exposing anything of value (They love laptops and cameras.), even put them away out of sight inside the house and your car.

Don't let Jet-Lag cloud your normal common sense about protecting your stuff.

Mentioned in this post
Tamarindo
Tamarindo
Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
8,176 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety

Petty crimes here are a problem in some areas. As posted above good common sense is all you need. Where I live here there is zero crime, on the other hand I had a friend who was teaching English in San Jose and was robbed at gunpoint not once, but 3 times in 6 months in broad daylight.

There are hot spots. Again as posted above, dont flash money or wear expensive jewelry, this is not the place to try and impress anyone with that.

If it makes you feel any better I have lived here for 10 years and have had few problems. You are safer here than in almost any major US city.

Most of the 2 million visitors that visit Costa Rica every year leave having had a great vacation. Far more happy trips than unhappy ones.

Mentioned in this post
San Jose
San Jose
San Jose Metro, Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
49,220 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety

Just common sense...every thing is going to be OK...and thank you for coming!

roadadvisor

Alberta
Level Contributor
132 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety

thanks for all the info. We are really looking forward to coming, just got a little nervous when I read the reviews.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
3,242 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safety

I've traveled in third world countries, taken younger family members along, etc. and never had problems. However, I am always aware that I'm not at home, not in familiar surroundings. I'm sure you know the neighborhoods or streets or hangouts to avoid in your own hometown. But the big problem is that tourists don't know this about the places they visit.

I've found that stuff happens mostly when people are out during the wee hours in sketchy places doing/buying/selling drugs, drinking, or otherwise engaging in less-than-safe activities. Avoiding the above will dramatically lower the stats for having a "problem."

Also, if you're in a house or villa, you probably do raise your chances of problems over staying at a resort or condo with lots of neighbors and/or security. Check to see if there is a security system, guard, or other measures taken for your safety.

Leave all the expensive stuff at home. This is true for travel to almost anywhere. You don't really need that expensive jewelry, clothes, etc. when you're on vacation. Put away laptops, cameras, and other electronic equipment in safety boxes, if available, or in the best hiding place you can find. Make sure you have saved the stuff you want to save on the laptop each day (send yourself an email with your notes/pictures etc). This way, even if your camera and/or laptop are stolen, you'll still be able to retrieve that info and those beautiful pictures when you get home.

Bottom line: we love Costa Rica. One of the prettiest places with the nicest people on the globe. Just take along your good sense. For pics/notes of our favorite places...

http://katiepickardfawcett.wordpress.com/

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Guanacaste
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safety

If you are staying in a condo they usually have safe box and security guard. Most of the Villas for rent in Tamarindo are upscaled and well taken care of.. of course there are exceptions. As in any of your other journeys put the expensive things away and enjoy your time in Costa Rica, you will not be disappointed.

Mentioned in this post
Tamarindo
Tamarindo
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Nova Scotia CANADA
Level Contributor
191 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safety

The only "crime" element I saw was on Tamarindo beach during the day. I was offered some marijuana to purchase. My response was no thanks and then I proceeded to try to sell him my little package of Pizza hut parmesan cheeze that looked likesomething else for $50.00. He laughed and walked away.

I walked the beach from Barcelo to Langosta 2X in the early morning (before 7:00 am ) and back by the roadside with out any problems. I felt safe the whole time I was in Costa Rica and would recommend this area to anyone. Like previous said, don't advertise your wealth and naivety

Mentioned in this post
Tamarindo Beach
Tamarindo Beach
2,850 Reviews
Tamarindo, Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
encinitas,calif.
Level Contributor
973 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Safety

i have rented houses in playa longosta. no problem. we also rent in mexico and feel very safe. you will be fine. when with a family you may go out to dinner and walk all around tamarindo and feel safe. we never have been bothered by drugs or hookers. you will love it.