We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi or One Day Car Rental?

off4thesummer
Level Contributor
147 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Taxi or One Day Car Rental?

My husband and I will be visiting Tamarindo for the first time at Christmas, One day I would like to explore a calm swimming beach outside of Tamarindo, ideally where we could rent chairs and an umbrella and grab a bite to eat at a local restaurant.

I have read numerous posts about good beaches to visit, but have not decided on a beach. I was curious if we should take a taxi or rent a car? It would only be a one day rental, and I assume Christmas is one of the busiest times to visit, so I am not sure if one day rentals are even allowed.

Thanks to this forum, I have been able to plan a great trip for us. I truly appreciate all of the wonderful information provided on the forum.

Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
1,781 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi or One Day Car Rental?

To get to a calm swimming beach outside of Tamarindo you need to go north of our northern neighbor Playa Grande. Then abruptly, the size of the surf gets much smaller and better for swimming.

One idea is too take a 30-minute drive north just past Flaminigo Beach and visit Playa Potrero where the surf is calmer and there is a cluster of restaurants. Go to the Bahia del Sol Hotel where you'll find, a new restaurant/bar called El Coconut Beach, and an old community restaurant across the street called El Castillo. A relatively undiscovered spot, it might be just right for you.

Here is a link to some photos, one of the top ones is of the beach.

http://www.potrerobay.com/galeria.html

Much less touristy than Tamarindo, especially during the Christmas season, but you can still rent a kayaka, etc..

Edited: 07 August 2010, 17:20
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,308 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi or One Day Car Rental?

For me is better if you rent a car!

Cheaper and more freedom...

roadadvisor

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
7,949 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi or One Day Car Rental?

I agree rent a car for a day or 2 to really explore the area. Lots of beaches to see in that area.

Cheers

Inca

Canandaigua, New...
Level Contributor
2,052 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi or One Day Car Rental?

How much would a one day car rental cost ? plus gas? insurance?

I would weigh both options.

Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
747 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi or One Day Car Rental?

You won't be able to get a one day rental during xmas week. I believe they have 3 day limits and you would have to book it very very soon.

off4thesummer
Level Contributor
147 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi or One Day Car Rental?

Thank you all for your responses! I am leaning towards renting a car since that is what we typically do when we visit new places, but I am not 100% positive that we will.

I have a few more questions if you would be kind enough to consider them:

Aside from the beach day trip, the reason we would need a car/taxi would likely be for dinners.

1- If we do not rent a car, how readily available/reliable are taxis for the purpose of getting us to and from dinner?

2- If we wanted to take a cab to the beach, would it be realistic to think we could get another cab back to Tamarindo? We had an incident in St. Maarten where we were nearly stranded at he top of a mountain without a cab to take us back home, so I have learned to ask more questions. :)

3- How are the driving conditions? Are roads well marked with signs and lit at night?

4- Generally speaking, what would the cost of a cab be? It looks like cars run about $50 per day.

5- Is there a car rental company you recommend? We will be staying at the Diria, so it would be nice to have the car delivered to the hotel.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
747 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxi or One Day Car Rental?

As mentioned before you will have to decide soon or you won't get one. The rental agencies run out of cars during xmas.

There's usually some form of "taxi" available. Most are illegal but do provide a needed service in Tamarindo. Buses and pirate taxis frequently sit in front of the Diria hotel.

If you take a cab to the beach. Pre-arrange a pickup time with the driver.

Our roads are not particularly well marked with signs nor is there illumination at night on rural roads. It's dark out there at night which is one of many reasons why most people don't recommend driving at night. Our road conditions vary from good to horrible. You'll want a 4X4. After taxes and insurance etc. you'll be at about $100/day.

Alamo is across the street from your hotel.

8. Re: Taxi or One Day Car Rental?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11 August 2010, 04:35
9. Re: Taxi or One Day Car Rental?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 February 2011, 06:16