We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SJO to Tamarindo

Which Tamarindo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lake Oswego, Oregon
Level Contributor
9 posts
837 reviews
Save Topic
SJO to Tamarindo

I was in Tamarindo about 8 years ago and enjoyed it very much. We drove through liberia and I did get a speeding ticket. Is the new bridge (tempisque) the the ferry the best way to go? We will be travelling in march, the dry season I hope.

thanks

Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
734 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SJO to Tamarindo

For sure. Take the new highway and over the Tempisque bridge and you should be here in about 4 hours.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,036 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SJO to Tamarindo

Hopefullly this time they are not going to give you a ticket...around $ 700.00 USD!

roadadvisor from Costa Rica

Lake Oswego, Oregon
Level Contributor
9 posts
837 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SJO to Tamarindo

Are tickets $700?

I was caught in a speed trap and was speeding 110kmh. Last time, the policeman told me he would have to take my passport and it would take 3 days to get back. Of course I flew out the next day and asked if there was another way to do this sooner. He took $50. This was probably a bad idea. Is it just safe not to speed?

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SJO to Tamarindo

There are strict new traffic laws and there are hefty fines associated with them. Don't speed or pass on the solid yellow line no matter what anyone else is doing. If you are stopped by the transit police,, they absolutely don't have the right to keep your passport. Smile and tell him to give you a ticket. Make a copy of your passport and give it to him . Don't pay a bribe. The government is trying hard to clean up the transit police and a number of arrests have been made recently. There are still a few bad apples but certainly not as many as before and they have been put on notice by the other arrests.

5. Re: SJO to Tamarindo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11 August 2010, 04:35
6. Re: SJO to Tamarindo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 February 2011, 09:15
Get answers to your questions about Tamarindo