We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anything comparable to amazon.com in Costa Rica?

Tamarindo, Costa...
2 posts
Save Topic
Anything comparable to amazon.com in Costa Rica?

Hi everyone,

I came to Costa Rica about two weeks ago and will be staying for the next 5 months doing an internship. I don't have a car here so I was wondering if there is any online-shopping-site comparable to amazon.com where I can order things because I am having trouble getting to places.

Thanks for any help you guys can give me!

Lina

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,147 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anything comparable to amazon.com in Costa Rica?

Hola LINA!

Good question...maybe what you can do is as many people do...get a FREE membership with www.cargatica.com...once you have your member number from Carga Tica...you can order anything from Amazon or any place in USA...they will shipped to Carga Tica in Miami and Carga Tica will send the things to Carga Tica office here in Costa Rica...the office is located by Rosti Pollos by the International Airport in Alajuela.

They can ship to you by air...or by boat...it works great for me all the time...

roadadvisor from Costa Rica and IN COSTA RICA!

Let me know if you have any more questions!

Tamarindo, Costa...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Anything comparable to amazon.com in Costa Rica?

Hola roadadivsor!

Thanks for the quick reply! Sounds really good!

Are the costs for this service high or are they affordable?

I'm going to check out the website.

Muchas gracias por su ayuda!

Lina

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,147 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anything comparable to amazon.com in Costa Rica?

You are WELCOME Lina!...the services by boat really incredible low prices...by air more expensive...but Carga Tica is one of the best and more affordable...they work fantastic...now they even open another office in LAX...

roadadvisor

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anything comparable to amazon.com in Costa Rica?

You can also check out Transexpress/Sociaco. They also have a Miami address and ship your stuff to San Jose and will put it on the bus to you in Tamarindo where you can pick it up. The basic service is about $19 a month which includes a certain weight of packages or mail. They charge you additional if the weight goes over that.

I don't know what kinds of things you are looking for, but Liberia has a pretty complete line of all kinds of stuff - except for books in English. There are frequent buses from Tamarindo to Liberia.

I am in Liberia pretty often for shopping and other errands so if you would like to mention some things you are looking for, I might be able to direct you to some place.

Edited: 07 September 2010, 18:36
San Jose
Level Contributor
1,000 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anything comparable to amazon.com in Costa Rica?

Good idea from Roadadvisor. I didnt know about Cargatica, I knew of Jetbox which also provides this service for free and only charges for the merchandise. I use Interlink and Aerocasillas but these do require a monthly fee so it wont work for you. Jetbox is a little expensier than these two, but because it doesnt charge a monthly fee it might work for you.

For grocery shopping there are supermarkets like Auto Mercado that have online shopping service http://www.automercado.cr/CompraLinea.aspx and you can buy whether you are in San Jose, or Herradura (Los SUeños, Jaco, etc), Tamarindo or El Coco. It does have a delivery cost, though. But, if you have the chance visit one of our Saturday or Sunday "ferias" or outside markets where you can find all kinds of fresh fruit and vegetables at great prices and really fresh, bought out from the local producers...

San Jose
Level Contributor
1,000 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anything comparable to amazon.com in Costa Rica?

Upps I just realized you posted this in the Tamarindo Forum, so I guess you will be in this area. Auto Mercado serves out the area just right, but the "ferias" are in San Jose area... I dont know if Tamarindo has these kind of activities going on.... do you know if they do, Roadadvisor?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
569 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anything comparable to amazon.com in Costa Rica?

Be aware that while services like Jetbox, Carga Tica, etc. may not be expensive, items delivered through them may have customs fees applied and those fees can be substantial. If you are a CR citizen or legal resident you can receive an exemption on customs fees for up to $500 of stuff every six months. I am not sure if that exemption would apply to someone on a student or some other temporary visa.

Edited: 08 September 2010, 03:10
Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
750 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anything comparable to amazon.com in Costa Rica?

There is also a Mailboxes Etc in Playa Langosta as well as a Jetbox in front of the Automercado. As Elgato9 mentioned there are customs fees tacked on and you pay by the pound. Be very careful with electronics or jewelry as the duty will kill you. The very best way is to ask around to find out who's coming down and can bring something.

9. Re: Anything comparable to amazon.com in Costa Rica?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 March 2011, 05:19