We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tamarindo for a week in January

Switzerland
Level Contributor
566 posts
214 reviews
Save Topic
Tamarindo for a week in January

Hi everyone, my fiance and I want to go to Costa Rica in January for a week. A few questions: how's the weather in January? Are we ok without a rental car in terms of seeing things and going to places? We are 2 very active people who like the outdoors and activities relating to the outdoors. If we do not need to have a car, we'd probably fly into Liberia and get transfers from there to Tamarindo. Any tips/advice/suggestions? Thanks so much!!!!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,849 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tamarindo for a week in January

The best weather around that time of the year...incredible nice hot days...dark nights...nice breeze...you can contact ...Ecotrans...nice people for any tour or transporation needs!

Tamarindo is not that big you can do it without a car...another great beach less people ...Playa Grande...next to Tamarindo...you can request information at: info@lastortugas.com

Las Tortugas small hotel ...www.lastortugashotel.com

Roadadvisor

Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
1,781 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Tamarindo for a week in January

As Roadadvisor says great weather. You can walk most anywhere in Tamarindo, so don't need a car. Take tours and local taxis, less money, less trouble. Here is a link to the Tamarindo Visitor Center where you'll find some tips: www.tamarindocosta-rica.com/travel/tips.html

Switzerland
Level Contributor
566 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tamarindo for a week in January

Thanks both for your replies.what about eating out?is that expensive?what is there to do around the area?we are very active and enjoy seeing amazing nature,going for hiking and other outdoor activities.just to give you an idea:we went to cancun last january and were bored to tears after a day because there was nothing there to do other eat,drink and lay on the beach.

Bellevue, Washington
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Tamarindo for a week in January

Eating out costs will depend somewhat on what you're eating. Generally speaking, it's about the same price as at home or a little less. Typical "casados" with a little bit of everything are the most economical. You're coming during turtle laying season so you'll have to do that one evening. Rent a scooter or bikes and explore the area. Numerous tours available. Rincon for hiking and Palo Verde for nature to name a couple. I'm sure you won't be bored.

Switzerland
Level Contributor
566 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tamarindo for a week in January

Thanks for your reply...I didn't realize its turtle egg laying season then!how safe is it to bike/scooter around?(Amongst all the cars,I mean).we want to be able to see the country but not sure renting a car is the best option(cost/time/safety wise) for that.

encinitas,calif.
Level Contributor
955 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tamarindo for a week in January

i think a car is a good idea. lots of diff. beaches to explore. also, dpending on where you stay in tamarindo you may need a car todrive to dinner. be sure to go sugar beach, great beach and restaurant. what a great month to be there.

encinitas,calif.
Level Contributor
955 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tamarindo for a week in January

i think if you get bored easily you may want to rent a car for a few days while staying in tamarindo. that way you can go do some sightseeing. you don't need a car for every day but its nice to go out and explore.if you sin up for a zip line adventure they can take you form your hotel. we did one thru our hotel capitan suizo and they pick us up early a.m. and we did zip line, horseback riding , lunch and mudbaths. it was so much fun. another day we went horseback riding and its so beautiful to see the countryside.

Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
47 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tamarindo for a week in January

Tamarindo is our home base when we're there so here's an insider's peek: Do not get into a taxi that isn't red with a yellow trianlge on the door. The bars at night are crazy, busy and loud. There is a dance club in the big Plaza at the center of town. Live music at Witches' Rock weekends.

Skip the hotdogs at the takeout, they stink. Meals at hotel restaurants are expensive but the food at the local "sodas" are healthy, taste great and cost under $5. Dinner at Cala Luna is romantic but be sure to have them call a taxi for you to go back. Leave your passport and all but one CC in the room safe and take a color copy of it with you.

Puarvida!

Tamarindo
Level Contributor
26 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tamarindo for a week in January

Great weather in January, sunny and Papagayo winds. I'd personally like to recommend my favorite restaurant, Seasons by Schlomy, located at Arco Iris Hotel. Gourmet International cuisine. Also, since you two are active, you must take surf lessons while you are in Tamarindo. That's part of what the town is know for.

10. Re: Tamarindo for a week in January

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 May 2011, 06:50