We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 week trip to Costa Rica - what to do and where to stay

Which Tamarindo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Canada
Level Contributor
221 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
1 week trip to Costa Rica - what to do and where to stay

My husband and I (from Vancouver, BC) are planning on going to Costa Rica for the very first time in the first week of December for 1 week. This is a bit of a last minute trip for us, so we don't know much about where we should stay. Is it better to do an all inclusive or just book flights and hotel separately. What area should we be staying in that is close to most attractions with good food nearby? We are looking to relax, but would also like to get a feel for the culture and environment as well as do some outdoor activities. Any suggestions on good/clean accommodations and where to book activities would be greatly appreciated!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,036 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 week trip to Costa Rica - what to do and where to stay

Maybe look for Manuel Antonio and Arenal if you you are flying into SJO...even you can include Monteverde cloud forest!

roadadvsior

Tamarindo
Level Contributor
533 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 week trip to Costa Rica - what to do and where to stay

Roadadvisor: The poster made no mention of flying into SJO and they made their post in the Tamarindo forum. If you want to pump Manuel Antonio and Arenal, do it in the appropriate places please.

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 week trip to Costa Rica - what to do and where to stay

www.hotelcapitansuizo.com for me

lots to do around www.tamarindo.com

some good AIs also

Barcelo

Paradisus

www.costarica.bookit.com good sales on those

Not a big fan of AIs too much sameness

Usually rent a car out of Liberia airport www.mapache.com and tour around

www.rincondelavieja.net makes a nice visit nearby...

Happy journey,

Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
734 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 week trip to Costa Rica - what to do and where to stay

I'm not much for AI either since there's so many good restaurants around but your best prices will be with package deals with the hotel and air included.

Check out www.tamarindocosta-rica.com for some ideas.

In Tamarindo you'll have access to lots of activities, restaurants etc. It's also a great jumping off point for checking out Guanacaste. With one week you won't have a lot of time to be traveling great distances. You'll have to come back to see more ;)

Canada
Level Contributor
221 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 week trip to Costa Rica - what to do and where to stay

Oops, I thought I had posted in the general Costa Rica forum. Thanks for all the suggestions! We were thinking of flying into Liberia. Which parts of Costa Rica is nice to visit at the beginning of December? I'm not a big fan of AI either, but it just seem like the best deal, since flight alone for us will be ~$1000CAN/pp, unless there are nice accommodations at a low cost.

Maple Ridge, Canada
Level Contributor
550 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 week trip to Costa Rica - what to do and where to stay

Absolutely do the A/I for one week . You will get a far better deal air/hotel wise doing it that way. We did that also last year. Frankly I think A/I gets a bad rap unnessarily. You are not tied to the resort for every meal. As a matter of fact if the price is right it allows you the freedom to spend your dollars wherever you choose. Certainly its less hassle and less work and well suited to a weeks vacation . In my Opinion.

After our all inclusive vacation last year , we are returning again this year but, this time choosing a 2 week holiday in a condo. Simply put this was the most economical way to spend 2 weeks. If I only had one week Id probably do a package deal especially when you factor in hotel/air/transportation seperately. It adds up.

Sue

Baltimore, Maryland
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 1 week trip to Costa Rica - what to do and where to stay

Sue - which AI did you stay at? And, what did you think?

Tamarindo
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1 week trip to Costa Rica - what to do and where to stay

Tamarindo Vista Villas has started an all inclusive meal plan. For $30 a day you get 3 meals plus 5 drinks a day. www.tamarindovistavillas.com

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1 week trip to Costa Rica - what to do and where to stay

Puramar: Your attack on roadadvisor is unwarranted. Many people who are not very familiar with Trip Advisor don't always post in the "right" forum.

Roadadvisor is a major contributor of information on this forum and I think you owe him an apology.

Tamarindo
Level Contributor
533 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1 week trip to Costa Rica - what to do and where to stay

I know the original poster wrote in the wrong forum, but Road Advisor did not know that at the time. Since it was posted in the Tamarindo forum, it would be assumed that they were asking for "good accomodations" and a "place to book activities" in the Tamarindo area. However, instead of answering for the area, Road Advisor pumped Arenal and Manuel Antonio which is no where near Tamarindo. I'm not saying his intentions were to pull them away from Tamarindo, but his answer was off-topic.

Get answers to your questions about Tamarindo