We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip

Harrisburg...
Level Contributor
136 posts
104 reviews
Save Topic
Trip

I’m planning to travel to Tamarindo x 3 or 4 nights in early October and 2 nights in San Jose, x San Jose I already know the Hotel I’m staying at, but I need recommendations x hotels in Guanacaste that are close to town, I won't have a car, we are 3 adults, We are also planning on taking a 1 day tour to Arenal volcano, is this closer to San Jose or to Guanacaste region, please advise..

Native's Way
4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Day Trips
Tamarindo Transfers & Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Day Trips, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
750 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip

Arenal is closer to San Jose so you should either go there after SJ or on your way back to SJ. In Tamarindo:

Hotel Arco Iris

Laguna De Cocodrilo

Pueblo Dorado

Hotel Diria

Hotel Capitan Suizo

Tamarindo Yam

Jardin El Eden

Harrisburg...
Level Contributor
136 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip

Thanks x the tips....

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
2,002 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip

If you have to spend any time in San Jose, I highly recommend Casa Bella Rita as it's just a gorgeous location: http://www.casabellarita.com/

For Tamarindo my absolute favorite is Hotel Captain Suizo, hands down! It's a little bit outside of town so that might me the only drawback for you (although that's why I like it). :-) Hotel Diria is smack dab in the middle of Tamarindo and on the beach so if it's in your budget....go for it...it doesn't get more convenient than that! If you need other options, just look on TA as there are plenty of reviews to help you with that and you can look at price, etc.

A one day tour to La Fortuna from San Jose is at least 3 hours each way so that's 6 hours of driving...from Tamarindo you're talking 4.5 hours each way so that's 9! I think you're much better off doing a day trip to Rincon de la Veija from the Tamarindo area. We did this all day tour there and it was amazing: http://www.guachipelin.com/. If not this one there is plenty to choose from and they'll include your transportation. :-)

Enjoy!

Wendy, La Fortuna, CR

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,952 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip

Hotel Tamarindo Diria...nice location...

You can drive from SJO to Arenal...3 hours and then keep going to Tamarindo another 3 to 4 hours...

Many nice real hotels around Arenal...be extra carefull with places that are far from town...you will be spending your vacation driving to town...nice places...a lot of them Hotel La Fortuna in town is affordable...nice Arenal Nayara...Lost Iguana...Silencio del Campo...Los Lagos..Montaña de Fuego...Arenal Paraiso...

Around San Jose way to many great otions...depending on your budget!

Excuse my English I´m a Costarican native and very proud of it!

roadadv isor

Harrisburg...
Level Contributor
136 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip

Muchas gracias, yo hablo los 2 idiomas,que tan dificil es guiar x Costa Rica...

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
8,099 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip

I have stayed at Capitan Suizo and Arco Iris, liked both and they get 2 thumbs up from me.

Cheers

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
57 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip

I spent a week in Tamarindo first week of May 2011. I was at Hotel Luna Llena. Hotel Luna Llena is a fantastic option. Loved it!!! Outside the center of Tamarido, but minutes walk to the centre and 3 minutes walk to the beach. They offer bungalows on two floors with A/C, TV, etc. breakfast included. It is nice to have a fridge and kitchen too. Amazing gardem pool and quiet. Highly recommeneded!!!

I racommend you take a private shuttle service (such as Interbus or Grey Line Cosat Rica) from Alajuela to Arenal, spend 1 night there and then book another Interbus/Grey Line shuttle service from Arenal to Tamarindo. Shuttle service are about $40 per person, 1 way.

In Arenal go to the Waterfall, Observatoty Lodge, National Park to walk on the 1992 lava and at night cocktail time at the host springs.

In Tamarindo Pura Aventura Canopy Tours highly recommended too.

A rented car not really necessary, but a plus if you can. Target Car Rental Costa Rica is a great rent a car company.

Wishing you the best and lost of fun !!

Harrisburg...
Level Contributor
136 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip

Thanx!!!

Uvita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Uvita, Ojochal
Level Contributor
2,649 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip

I also stayed at Capitan Suizo the hotel was very nice and a bit out of town, which is a good thing in my opinion.

Guanacaste, Costa...
Level Contributor
114 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip

Go to Arenal from San Jose.

Spend the night at Los Lagos

Head to tamarindo.

Think about going to Moneverde on the way back to San Jose for a night. (Look at Hidden Canopy hotel for an unmatched experience: www.hiddencanopy.com )

For transportation from the airport in San Jose and/or to Arenal, contact PAUL and Van Tours. paul@vantourscr.com or www.vantourscr.com