We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

day trip to rincon de la vieja or stay local for zip line

GA
Level Contributor
160 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
day trip to rincon de la vieja or stay local for zip line

Trying to decide between a day trip to rincon de la vieja or stay local for zip line. Would love to visit rincon de la vieja and get a day pass to zip line, visit the hot springs, etc. But since it is so far away from Tamarindo I am worried that we cannot pack a lot in. Also, what is the best way to get there? We do not really want to rent a car because other than that day we plan on staying local.

GA
Level Contributor
160 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: day trip to rincon de la vieja or stay local for zip line

O.K. thought I would clarify a little more because it sounds like I have not done any research. I see some places that talk about transportation. Is it better for me to find a place on my own or get the people when I book the tour to recommend someone? My husband wants to just go to pura aventura since it is closer while I am the one who wants to go to rincon de la vieja.

For people who have been for a day- how long are you gone, do you bring clothes to change in to before going back, is there a way to arrange the tours to get the most in, , how soon do you book the day trip and transportation, any other advice.

Thanks

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
594 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: day trip to rincon de la vieja or stay local for zip line

I would recommend going to Rincon, do hiking, ziplining, hot springs, etc, and hire one of the tour companies to take you there and back. That way you don't have to worry about renting a car, directions and watching the road. Since that's the only day you're leaving Tamarindo, why not hire someone to pick you up and take you there and show you what you're looking for. (That way you can look out the window at the scenery instead of watching for cows and chickens crossing the road!)

There are different tour companies with slightly different rates so you can check a few if you like.

I have worked with Amy from Avispas Adventures and have heard very positive reviews from guests on our boat about their service.

…typepad.com/avispas_adventures/tours/

Have fun!

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
594 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: day trip to rincon de la vieja or stay local for zip line

When I have gone to Rincon, I spend the day up there cause there's so much to do, and yes, bring a change of clothes (bathing suit/socks/shoes and sandals.)

It is only a couple hours away from Tamarindo, and if you hire a tour guide to pick you up, take you there and arrange all the activities for the whole day, I remember the rate being surprising low for Rincon. They pack a bunch in to one day and you will driven home probably when its dark, since the sun always sets around 6:00 pm. You will sleep very well that night!

(Get out of Tamarindo if for only that one day!)

Playas del Coco
Level Contributor
21 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: day trip to rincon de la vieja or stay local for zip line

Definetaly Rincon!!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,303 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: day trip to rincon de la vieja or stay local for zip line

Rincon is the place ...great adventure and is really not that far from Tamarindo...about one hour and 45 minutes..to two hours...nice ride all the way even the last few dusty kilometers...

If you deal with a tour company...be sure that they are ceritified by ICT...that means they are really paying taxes, are paying the Seguro Social for the employees and are following ICT protocols..among many more regulations...

roadadvisor

GA
Level Contributor
160 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: day trip to rincon de la vieja or stay local for zip line

Still trying to figure out where to book. I was looking at guachipelin. You can buy a day pass thru them and then arrange transportation. Would we be better off booking through a tour instead of doing this? I am looking at several and most seem to have mixed reviews so it is hard to decide which one to choose. They all seem to be around $150 pp. Is this about right for a day pass and transport?

Tamarindo
Level Contributor
533 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: day trip to rincon de la vieja or stay local for zip line

The price of $150pp is about right for this tour. The admission into Hacienda Guachapelin is the biggest expense. The rest is for the four hours of total driving time and for the driver to wait around for you.

Instead of using one of these big ICT companies that Road Advisor recommends, you should use a small company with a private driver. This way, a local driver and a small booking company gets your money, not some big corporation.

Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
747 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: day trip to rincon de la vieja or stay local for zip line

Depending on your priorities I would recommend Buena Vista for zip lines and hot springs.

Guachipelin for zip lines and river tubing.

Canyon Del La Vieja for rafting or tubing and ziplines.

There are obviously a few options. Check them all out and pick the one that best suits your priorities as they are all sightly different.

With only 2 people the $150 price is about right. If there are more participants then the price could be lower. Going with a registered company gives you the peace of mind that the vehicle and guide that you have are good. Fly by night companies may be cheaper but you get what you pay for (uninsured vehicles and drivers that don't speak English for example).

Guanacaste, Costa...
Level Contributor
114 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: day trip to rincon de la vieja or stay local for zip line

I would recommend Rincon or one of the other All Day Adventure Packages.

Depending on how many people are traveling with you and which location you decide to visit, prices for Rincon Adventures should start around $135 per person.

I agree with Road Advisor.

Puramar, you are mistaken. You do not have to be a big corporation to be certified by the ICT. (ICT- Is the Costa Rican Board of Tourism) You do however have to be LICENSED AND INSURED along with fulfilling other Costa Rican Laws Like using CERTIFIED LICENSED TOUR GUIDES (Which are trained in all aspects of tourism and emergency response) It has nothing to do with the size of the business.

There are too many "pirate" companies taking tourist around pretending to be a tour company and many are not licensed or insured. In the end, if they are stopped by the traffic police or worse, in an accident it is the International traveler that pays the consequences and gives all small tour companies a bad name.

In some cases, these private drivers offer to take tourist in a “NEW SUV….2010 or 2011….Just them….a private tour….for just a little bit more $ cause it’s private” These vehicle are NOT licensed for tourism and if caught the passengers are taken out of the vehicle and stranded along side of the road until a PROPERLY LICENSED TOURISM VEHICLE arrives to pick them up. Not how I would want to spend my vacation.

In the end which ever tour company travelers decide to use, they need to make sure that they are PROPERLY LICENSED AND INSURED. Being recognized by the ICT (Costa Rican Board of tourism) is a sign of it and is a good resource for international travelers. The ICT's list of recognized Companies is: visitcostarica.com/ict/paginas/categoria.asp…

Edited: 05 September 2011, 04:55
Tamarindo
Level Contributor
533 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: day trip to rincon de la vieja or stay local for zip line

Question: Are all the vans that have the yellow "Turismo" sticker on the side a licensed tourism vehicle?